News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post yourImperial russian orders and badges

GeorgeCL

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good afternoon

I am pretty new to GMIC and this is my first time in this forum. I have already posted a few Soviet badges in that forum.

I have collected a lot of Imperial Russian items over the past several years and I was hoping to find an active interest in that topic. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an active forum devoted to Imperial Russian militaria and collectibles anywhere. Too bad. That's something I would enjoy seeing, participating in and learning more about.

Regardless, I'll start my contributions off here with a couple of Orders of St. Anna, 4th and 3rd classes, military versions with swords, late-era gilt over ... over what? For the swords and filigree, probably brass, maybe bronze. For the metal of the crosses themselves, both crosses are hallmarked and the metal underneath the red enamel is grey, as you can see. I suppose it could be silver but I just don't know. These aren't pristine, of course, but they're good enough for me.

If the interest is here and others will post a few things, I'll be glad to contribute my own modest collectibles for your enjoyment.

georgecl, #84503 is about as nice a late St. George Cross-3rd as anyone will ever see. Good find.

Kindest regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, welcome to the Forum. Fabulous Order, especially with the swords. I think much of the Imperial Russian Orders are amongst the most beautiful. I've bid on a number of bars with a St Anna, or St. Stanislaus mixed into a German grouping......... but always seem to get hammered out in the end by a Native Russian. Can't say I blame them at all!

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

OK, here's a late pre-Transition Government St. Stan-2nd, military only of course by then, with swords. Gilt over bronze, I think. That's the correct smaller ribbon, but it came out of another set.

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Here's a Transition Government St. Stan-2. No crowns on these, the better to maintain the fiction that really, not that much was going to change, I guess. Military version, of course, with swords.

Note the major differences in the style of leaves on the obverse, comparing this to the previous one. This is a very nice example of this variation, IMHO.

The large ribbon is wrong. You probably know that. It is the ribbon for a first class. The family I bought this one from insisted that the recipient also had a first class but they had sold it. Who knows? Anyway, they did have this ribbon. Later on, they called and said they had the second class ribbon, if I wanted it. That's the one you see in the previous post.

OK, one more tonight.

I'll likely never have an Order of St. George breast badge, but I do have this frachnik, or miniature, of one for wearing on other than a uniform. This one is both proofed and hallmarked. The letters may once have been gilted but they don't show any remaining traces under my 10x glass, only the silver beneath. In contrast, the two circles have perfect gilt, enough so that I wonder if they are really solid gold. The pin on the reverse is still tight and functional, although I don't tempt fate by playing with it.

Moderators and Gentlemen

Is there any possibility of a dedicated Imperial Russia forum? What would it take? Don't these things deserve more than one posting in a continuing thread? That certainly doesn't create a good research and comparison opportunity for any award or topic.

I promise to contribute at least ten new threads within the first week to open things up if GMIC decides to create one. Anyone else? I realize that Imperial isn't the current rage, but it is darn interesting and varied and it offers a lot of collecting opportunities for less than, say, the latest prices for equivalent Soviet or Third Reich awards. The market seems wide open to me, but what do I know? Still, inquiring minds want to know.

Chuck

Hi Rick,

That would be Great..I have tried to get posting on other forums without success. :(

As with most forums German third reich seems to be the rule.

Thanks For posting Chuck, you have some nice pieces.. Ill get some good photo of some stuff and post this weekend.. :beer:

George

Glad to see this forum. I neither collect nor know much about pre-Revolutionary Russian ODMs.

This is why I welcome the forum: to learn!

:)

I don?t collect them either, but do very much enjoy to look at them and learn about them.

Great idea :beer:

And i already have a question for you Imperial collectors. Which of the Imperial Decorations of Russia were numbered, except of the St. George?s Crosses? And were some of the badges numbered as well?

TIA

regards,

Gerd

I don?t collect them either, but do very much enjoy to look at them and learn about them.

Great idea :beer:

And i already have a question for you Imperial collectors. Which of the Imperial Decorations of Russia were numbered, except of the St. George?s Crosses? And were some of the badges numbered as well?

TIA

regards,

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I think the only other award offically Numbered, is the St Anna medal for non officers.

George

That's about it. Also the medals of St. George (the four-classed version, post 1878) were numbered.

It's nice too see this new forum, I too hope it grows. The imperial Russian award system is most interesting, and in my opinion these orders - especially those made pre-1914 - are amongst the most beautiful around. Too bad they command such high prizes that I can't afford buying them. :( Well.. maybe some day.. until then I'll have to settle for looking them in pictures.

Nice examples, gentlemen. :beer:

Pete