News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Commemorative of the Great War

RobW

Hello all,

While there is currently a thread in this same area on French makers marks / hallmarks and guarantee stamps I thought it relevant to start a specific thread on the many different varieties of the French medal commemorating the Great War.

The other thread can capture all the myriad French makers marks but I think it is a good idea to highlight all the different varieties of this very striking and yet simple medal.

As far as available records show the medal was produced by at least 5 different French manufacturers, with a US produced model as well. In addition there is the differently design model by C.Charles and the accepted design with a different suspender by Arthus Bertrand. Such variety with a single commemorative medal makes for an interesting collecting field.

I will post pics of all the varieties in my collection as I manage to locate them. The format will be the same with a general pic, followed by close-up pics where appropriate. It would be good if others could post theirs as well.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

And here is the corrected picture, provided by Bison showing the mark of L, an anchor, C.

On reflection it was immediately noticeable once I observed the medal from a different angle under a strong light. Sometimes it is all that it takes to make a positive identification. Again my thanks go to Bison for pointing this out.

Regards,

Rob

Here is a close-up of the mark. As indicated by Bison in the other thread it is assessed that this mark (a C and L superimposed over each other) is also that of Léon Chalin's mark but this has not been confirmed. It would be good if someone else could confirm this.

Regards,

Rob

What is interesting about this medal is that the 'Engagé Volontaire' bar is also maker marked. It has the letter 'M' [Monnaie de Paris] on the reverse, so it would appear that the mint marked more than just their medals. I have another commemorative medal in my collection with the 'Engagé Volontaire' bar that has very slight design differences and it does not have the makers mark on the reverse as per this example.

Regards,

Rob

To change the direction a little here are some miniatures of the War Commemorative Medal. Such nice detail for items that are so small.

The first one is but 11.2 mm in diameter. All measurements are taken from the widest point of the planchet and not the wreath suspender.

Regards,

Rob

This example is a later strike at 11.5 mm in diameter. Of note is that the Paris mint cornucopia and BR marks are present on the reverse. This example is part of a larger group of 9 French mini's.

Regards,

Rob

To continue, here is another War Commemorative Medals; this time with the makers mark of Arthus Bertrand.

Arthus Bertrand produced this official strike as well as another example which is characterised by a different suspender.

Regards,

Rob

Here is a close-up of the mark. The Arthus Bertrand mark has, over the years, had a number of different markings but in this case it is 'A B & Cie'. The marks have also been seen in a diamond as well as a square format with the same internal marks.

Regards,

Rob

Here is a close-up of the mark. The JB marks are seen in a variety of strikes, with the mark either being very distinct as in this example, to very flat or shallow marks where the is little, if any, of the JB present.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

Here is my last French war commemorative medal variety.

It is produced by the Paris firm of Paul Leclére. It is seen much less frequently than the other varieties listed.

Regards,

Rob

post-7101-030034100 1285485181_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobW