News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just arrived - Sample board from S & L

Hello,

Here is a piece i have long been looking for, a original sample board from the company of Steinhauer & Luck.

This pieces was offered on ebay (yes sometimes some good and nice items do surface !! ) and arrived today at my house. I am quite happy with it.

The board does have the following awards attached:

* A glider profiency badge (1 gull)

* B glider profiency badge (2 gull's)

* C glider profiency badge (3 gull's)

=> the above described are the lower part, all with button faster device and the marked " O " on the reverse.

* Silver C glider profiency badge ( 3 gulls in a silver wreath) / full size

And then a array of mini's. All badges are in mint condition and have no enamel damage etc ...

Anyone ever seen such a sampleboard for glider badges :P ?

Cordial greetings and thanks for looking,

Guys,since I looked up the fourth in different books and couldn?t find a standard name for it,I searched my original books and found this....

The 4th badge is not a C or silver C,it is a D.I add pics of the booklet I took this info from,on the second you can see also the requirements for the "Leistungsabzeichen D"....

@Paul

It was much more complicated to obtain level D than any of the others below.

A:Take-off,30 seconds flight,landing

B:5 flights with: Take-off,1 minute flight with S-curves,landing

C:1 Flight with the starting-height being raised for 5 minutes

D:1x 5hrs flight,1x cross-country flight covering 50KM of distance

1x flight with the starting height risen of 1000m

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen a "D" Badge before either! :beer:

I assume since these are samples that none have (doh!) serial numbers on back--

and THAT would be useful to know-- any OTHER badges turn up unnumbered = came off a sample board like this.

I have never seen an all glider badges display, either. :cheers:

Back 20-30 years ago, the usual sorts of awards/ribbon bars/insignia boards were fairly common...

but so many were pulled apart to pluck off THIS award and THAT award and THIS award that they are almost all gone now. :(

Hello,

Thank you for the reply's and interest in this subject. Really nice.

" Guys,since I looked up the fourth in different books and couldn?t find a standard name for it,I searched my original books and found this....

The 4th badge is not a C or silver C,it is a D.I add pics of the booklet I took this info from,on the second you can see also the requirements for the "Leistungsabzeichen D".... "

@ Rosenberg: that is some very nice information, from when is that publication?, untill now i never heard of the "Lesitungsabzeichen D". Iff one does talk with Glider veterans or modern glider pilots one is always talking about the Silver C. (because the silver boarder).

Iff one is lucky enough to find a Wehrpass or Soldbuch then one can find anotehr array of names ;), it is a very interesting subject after all. Then again iff we do look at the original award document from these it is called " Leistungs - Segelfliegerabzeichen "

check out this thread: where a original document for such one is shown : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3523

I do assume that the award document has the correct name and that the book has a typo?

@ Rick: indeed, no numbers at the back :blush:

Probably these where numbered when awarded, on the other hand as it is a sales board from S & L and it is known that other company's where also producing these (for example: Deumer - Ludenscheid, Bonner Fahnenfabrik, etc ... ) it is unclear wich ones where officially awarded? all mixed up as bought from the I.S.T.U.S. at those different producers?

I have such a example (silver C) from a glider veteran and he does confirm me that he bought such a silver C (have it in the collection) as a replacement for his original lost (awarded) piece. The confirmation does exist that this type of silver C is a replacement type.

Rest assured, this one will survive complete as it is :cheers:

Cordial greetings

ps: more to follow ...

Edited by Stijn David

Hello,

Thank you for the reply's, i find it rather interesting to see that the publications in that area have used another name (D grade). As off for the Alphabetical order it was the correct name. A, B, C & D

Are there images to be found in that publication or any statistics named ?

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

Yes i can confirm that there are no numbers to be found on the reverse.

It is sad that such pieces have ripped apart (and i am relatively certain that that is still the case today due to simple reasons as ignorance and greed.)

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

Thank you Rosenberg, much appreciated to scan the booklet :cheers:

Are there persons who have such badges with maker marks?, so far the following maker marks are known towards me at this point:

* D(eumer - L?denscheid)

* Steinhauer & Luck - L?denscheid

* Bonner Fahnenfabrik - Bonn

Any others?

Cordial greetings,