News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinguished Herdsman of the MPR

Bob

First up (on the left) Type 1 Var 1 - Uighur script (J-01). This on number 344.

Last time I checked the well known numbers list, sighted were from 92 - 399.

On the right is a Type 2 Var 2 Cyrillic (J-04). This ones a bit used but best I could find sofar. These go unnumbered. Apparently there are two variations - see B's book - this one I suspect being the lighter air colored one.

Next post will show reverse.

Next... 3 type 3 var 1 (silver)... from left to right:

Note: the middle one probably has an incorrect screw. Also of interest, the most right hand one has darker color air - another variation?

The numbers: observed from 32 to 3740.

This is J-02 in the book. Noteworthy is that in fact two variations of this variation 1 exist:

- one with relief back

- one flat back (much more expensive - higher silver content)

I'm still looking for a flat back one, let me know if you have it for sale... or just want to post a pic here:)

Edited by Bob

And to finish it: type 4 (J-03). Supposedly extremely rare (on the list it was mentioned only 6 sited). Well, this is one of them.

Unnumbered so no indication of how many were produced. It's in fantastic condition.

And beautiful large screw. Text:

- on top: "Ulaanbaatar" and then three letters: XOT

- bottom: Uruu..... Arte..." - wasn't in the mood to decipher this morning... presumably artists cooperative

What you have called Type 2 is not a best herders badge.

Herfurth got that wrong.

It's a distinguished rangers badge.

The rangers are the people that gather up the cattle in the countryside and bring it to the cities for slaughter.

Jan

What you have called Type 2 is not a best herders badge.

Herfurth got that wrong.

It's a distinguished rangers badge.

The rangers are the people that gather up the cattle in the countryside and bring it to the cities for slaughter.

Jan

Good - this way we learn:)

Have you guys seen the prices on the first type?? Ouch! the odd thing is while I am sure they're pretty scarce, there's been at least 3 type 1's on eBay in the last 2 months. Now the later (??) type with the silver lettering in the blue enamel.... I've only seen one on a website and again. Ouch!

Have you guys seen the prices on the first type?? Ouch! the odd thing is while I am sure they're pretty scarce, there's been at least 3 type 1's on eBay in the last 2 months. Now the later (??) type with the silver lettering in the blue enamel.... I've only seen one on a website and again. Ouch!

OUCH indeed, but then again, they are pretty scarce, in my 4 years of collecting, I've seen less than 10 Type 1's and less than 5 of the Cyrillc type 3's. With "seen" I mean for sale, or in someones collection or in a book.

Imagine the price of a soviet award or a TR award with less than 10 known existing pieces. :rolleyes:

Jan

• 2 weeks later...