News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Being new to the Forum, here is one photo to start with.

IPB Image

This photo shows 15th company of the bavarian infantry regiment 19 in 1921, early beginning of the Reichswehr period.

Company chief was Hauptmann Ferdinand Sch?rner, PLM-winner of the 1st WW.

IPB Image

Sch?rner continued his military career and was the last high commander of the germany army in 1945 before the 2nd WW came to its end.

I thought this very early shot of Sch?rner is quite interesting and rare.

The photo was already marked when I got it.

Kind regards

Robert

Have you noticed the breast decoration of the officer next to Sch?rner? Is it the very rare Tamara order given to German soldiers who served in the Caucasus area (Georgia)?

For more info on this decoration, please consult this very intesting link:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1032&hl=Tamara

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Hello Robert, I would also like to welcome you to the forum. As was noted, you are certainly off to a fine start.

With regard to the neck order in the picture, I certainly can not make a judgment - these old eyes are not as sharp as they once were. It does seem, however, that in many pictures of the period, PLM?s often appear to be almost white. A similar situation is often encountered where the yellow ribbon of the centenary medal comes across as being very dark. I think that it has something to do with light refraction.

A great photo and again, welcome.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Have you noticed the breast decoration of the officer next to Sch?rner? Is it the very rare Tamara order given to German soldiers who served in the Caucasus area (Georgia)?

Claudio

If it is (and I have no idea what else it could be), then THIS would make the photo REALLY rare! :speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

As always, a fantastic photo Robert!

Interesting that Sch?rner chose to wear ONLY the PLM and nothing else, thereby even slighting his home state.

The Feldwebel in front of him is indeed :jumping::jumping::jumping: wearing the Georgian Order of Saint/Queen Tamara, which from the reflection of Herself there in the middle appears to be the so-called "officers' 1st Class" type on blue central enamel-- "whiting out" just like the PLM.

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: Yup, the same "white" looking blue as the PLM-- the first "in wear" evidence I have seen of the marketing-ploy "classes" of the Tamara. Several documented groups have turned up with the enamel type to privates, but have never seen one of this type actually being worn before.

The best thing about collecting photographs is how much pleasure can be obtained from the smallest details!

goodness!

it seems he was INTENSELY proud

of that PlM....

to the exclusion of all else!!, although

i'm sure he had a few other odds and

ends in his medal drawer... :D

any chance of a rankliste or other

summation of his awards?

joe

As well he should be - by my count - he is one of only two company grade army officers serving in non-Prussian ground units to be so honored. The other was, of course - Rommel.

Sch?rner received during the WW1 the following awards :

- Pour le M?rite

- Iron cross 2nd cl.

- Iorn cross 1st cl.

- Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th cl with X

- Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th cl with X and crown

- Austrian 3rd cl of Cross of Merit with war decoration

- Silver wound badge

I have no informations about his WW2 career. If my memory is ok, I remeber he was the last Feldmarschall promoted by AH. He received the Knight cross of Iron cross with swords, oak leaves and diamonds.

Regards

Christophe

Hi everybody,

I just would like to add a nice picture (a bit too small, sorry!) of Sch?rner I found on the net, showing him at a pre-war official event as Senior officer of the Gebirgsj?ger with all his medals (PlM and medal bar). Maybe that medal bar is somewhere out there... it's not even something special, on the contrary, it's quite a "common" array of decorations for a senior Bavarian career officer.

Here's a interesting link with his curriculum vitae and awarded medals (in German):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Sch%C3%B6rner

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio