News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bolivian WW2 Officers Shoulder Boards

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

These came home with a local, who was down there during the war as a Major in the U.S. army signal corps.

I have never been able to determine the branches of service, though the ranks are obviously Lieutenant Colonel (with single star)

and Major,

after the German pattern.

Can anybody tell me why TWO pairs have "Imperial German" style "V" flecks in the national colors, but the "solid gold on hot pink" does not-- and what branches of service they are?

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

No clue. But that's the only overseas post where the local Professor served.

And padded out his underwhelming ribbon bars down there with things like Yankee hereditary society membership ribbons from the Sons of the American Revolution and Society of Colonial Wars. :rolleyes::cheeky:

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

I'm sure they do... in Bolivia! But up the Thames estuary from Long Island Sound... they are a long LONG way from home!

Good Old Ron Manion used to offer the odd pair now and again in the early 1990s-- invariably described as "Imperial German" :speechless: despite the national color Vs. But I doubt there are any other pairs in New England.

• 7 years later...

The silver shoulder boards are of the model for field officers and yes they are v flecked as the german in this case with the bolivian national colours the one star is for a major two for a lt cnel and three for a full colonel the black backing denote artillery.The gold shoulder boards are for general the rather pinkish red of the backing is peculiar of bolivian Army generals Today the same shoulder boards are  in use in the bolivian Army with certain uniforms naturally not of the same qualityBolivia hired in 1911 a german military mission whose leader was the then lt colonel Hans Kundt a meclenburger in the prussian army Kundt was the father of the modern bolivian army he introduced the german uniforms the german drill ,the german and austrian marches etc