News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kapit?n Karl Strauch - more infos wanted

Hello to all,

I got this very nice portrait of Kapit?n Karl Strauch, commander of the KdF Ship "Sierra Cordoba" in 1936.

IPB Image

Details of his decorations:

IPB Image

I would like to have some more information about this person.

What was his career before the 1930ties ?

What did he do in the 2nd WW ?

As always, my sincere thanks to all who help me with their knowledge.

Kind regards

Robert

Guest Rick Research

Strauch was never a member of the Marine-Offiziere-Verband, so I cannot track his merchant marine career. :(

He was born 18 August 1885, and served as a reserve officer in the imperial navy from 1 April 1908 to 10 December 1918:

Leutnant zur See der Reserve 25.8.12 C

Oberlutnant zur See der Reserve 27.1.16 B and aD in that rank.

The February 1918 Navy Rank List shows him with both Iron Crosses and the HamburgHanseatic Cross.

Wartime service 1914-18 =

on SMS "L?beck" to January 1915

SMS "Prinz Adalbert" to March 1915

SMS "Bremen" to September 1915

Group leader (Grupenf?hrer) and Commandant of Vorposten Flotille Ost (Outpost Flotilla "East") to April 1916

Commander of the 2nd and then 1st (no specific dates) Merchant Shipping Protection Half Flotilla (Handelsschutzhalbflotille) to February 1918

Expedition to Finland as 1st Officer of the steamer "Buenos Aires" to April 1918 (that is probably a Cross of Liberty 3rd Class he is wearing with the 1918 War of Independence Medal).

The Hamburg-South America Steamship Society steamer "Buenos Aires" of 6,097 BRT was launched in 1912 and lost after being torpedoed at 57?05'N/11?35'E off the Norwegian coast on 1 May 1940

and lastly, Watch Officer on SMS "Moltke" to war's end.

The Norddeutscher Lloyd (Bremen) steamer "Sierra Cordoba" (11,492 BRT) was launched in 1924. Ordered delivered to Britain as war reparations, it sank off the coast of Norway in a storm 18 January 1948.

North German Lloyd might have something in their corporate archives on Strauch. :beer: Rick

• 1 year later...