News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albania - The Accession of Wilhelm of Weid medal

Hi all:

Here is a new addition to my Albanian collection and it is not communist. This is the medal commemorating the accession of Wilhelm of Weid as Albania's ruling Prince (Mbret which later came to mean King). He was elected by the Central Powers after they polled around looking for a minor noble to assume the throne after Albania was liberated from the Ottoman Empire in December 1913. Wilhelm was the only candidate willing to take on the job. He tried to secure long promised funds to help maintain some degree of stability but the outbreak of WW I put an end to that and with the rapid disintegration of Albania into civil war between warring factions, Wilhelm fled in September 1914. This medal was designed by the Austrian scuptor Gustav Gurschner and was most likely produced in Austria as well.

I remember seeing a medal bar once with this decoration on it. If anyone has one, post them! :cheers:

Cheers,

Eric

• 6 months later...

Hi all:

Here is a new addition to my Albanian collection and it is not communist. This is the medal commemorating the accession of Wilhelm of Weid as Albania's ruling Prince (Mbret which later came to mean King). He was elected by the Central Powers after they polled around looking for a minor noble to assume the throne after Albania was liberated from the Ottoman Empire in December 1913. Wilhelm was the only candidate willing to take on the job. He tried to secure long promised funds to help maintain some degree of stability but the outbreak of WW I put an end to that and with the rapid disintegration of Albania into civil war between warring factions, Wilhelm fled in September 1914. This medal was designed by the Austrian scuptor Gustav Gurschner and was most likely produced in Austria as well.

I remember seeing a medal bar once with this decoration on it. If anyone has one, post them! :cheers:

Cheers,

Eric

In fact, his name was Wilhelm von Wied, from the ancient German feudal house of Runkel.

• 2 years later...

Any clarity on what the deal is about two versions of the ribbon:

- red/black as Eric posted

- but I've also seen several blue / white versions

It seems that Eric's ribbon is the correct original. That is clear from contemporary colour portraits and illustrations of the prince at the time.

Cheers

James