News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DRA Full Set

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

I couldn't edit the title of the other thread I started, so I'll just go in and delete its contents so this isnt redundant.

1. First up all three in a group shot Obverse and Reverse:

DRA_Set_of_3_Obv.jpg

DRA_Set_of_3_Rev.jpg

Edited by speedytop
    double pictures

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

2. Gold Obverse (more rare maker marked EUGEN MARCUS HOFJUWELIER, BERLIN W.8 U.D.LINDEN 31):

D.R.A._Sports_Badge_c.1933_in_Gold_Obv.jpg

Edited by speedytop
    double picture

Guest Darrell

3. Silver (Maker Marked H.WERNSTEIN, JENA-LOBSTEDT, D.R.G.M. 35269):

D.R.A._Sports_Badge_c.1933_in_Silver_Obv.jpg

D.R.A._Sports_Badge_c.1933_in_Silver_Rev.jpg

Edited by speedytop
    double pictures

Guest Darrell

4. Bronze same Maker as Silver:

D.R.A._Sports_Badge_c.1933_in_Bronze_Obv.jpg

D.R.A._Sports_Badge_c.1933_in_Bronze_Rev.jpg

Edited by speedytop
    double pictures

Guest Darrell

Nice group, Darrell, one even looks a tad familiar... wink.gif

Hehe ... actually Bob, the one you are thinking about was the SA Silver smile.gif

• 1 year later...
    Guest Darrell

I wonder how many forum members would make the "Gold".... at the moment I could MAYBE scrape a bronze... but I would have to put a chili pepper in between my butt cheeks before I ran.... :jumping:

I think I'd fall into group as well :blush:

Guest Darrell

The DRA Sports Badge 1st Model was instituted in 1913. It was issued in three grades (Bronze, Silver and Gold). They were presented (1913-1914) and (1919-1933) None were issued during WW 1.

1. To earn the Bronze, men and women between the ages of 18 and 32 had to pass five parts of a physical test within the space of twelve months.

The DRA in bronze was awarded approximately 248,000 times.

2. For the Silver they had to pass five parts of a physical test for a further eight years beyond the requirements of the Bronze grade. Or, if between 32 and 40, eligible if they passed the tests once intwelve months.

The DRA in Silver was awarded approximately 9,200 times.

3. For the Gold they had to pass five parts of a physical test for a further fifteen years beyond the requirements of the Bronze grade, and seven years further beyond that for a Silver grade.

The Gold DRA was awarded approximately 4,200 times.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Rick Research

Actually, the regulations changed fairly... constantly. There was no silver grade before 1919. EXACT conditions for the original bronze and gold types of 1913-14 remain a mystery. I have never seen ANY award paperwork that old. I supect very strongly (based on the later SA sports badges) that the pre-war DRAs were awarded by FUNCTION and not qualification-- say bronze to competitors and gold to judging officials.

Here is a document for a 1929 Gold, earned, at that time, for a total of 8 years, and not at all connected with the recipient's age:

[attachmentid=62616]

Notice here that the exact date and consecutive bestowal numbers for his bronze and silver grades is shown. I am not certain, but believe that purely by coincidence, the bestowal number for this gold was "1929," and that is NOT the year written in red.

Every national sports badge award document booklet includes the full requirements for passing each grade, while the smaller award version paper (like this one) just shows the tests taken and certified results:

[attachmentid=62617]

DRA_gold_Ersatz_Urkunde_1929_Dr_Theodor_Wagner_p1_x40_ns_72KB.jpg

DRA_gold_Ersatz_Urkunde_1929_Dr_Theodor_Wagner_p2_x40_ns_72KB.jpg

Edited by speedytop

Guest Rick Research

[attachmentid=62618]

[attachmentid=62620]

Note that Dr.Theodor Wagner was only 27 at this time, and this was the 8th time he had qualified for his badge.i

DRA_gold_Ersatz_Urkunde_1929_Dr_Theodor_Wagner_p3_x40_ns_71KB.jpg

DRA_gold_Ersatz_Urkunde_1929_Dr_Theodor_Wagner_p4_x40_ns_62KB.jpg

Edited by speedytop
    double pictures

Guest Rick Research

I've posted this before, but since this is apparently the ONLY one still surviving, here is one of the 118 1913-14 Golds:

27 awarded in 1913, and 91 in 194

[attachmentid=62622][attachmentid=62623]

Made by Eugen Marcus, Court Jeweller, this is marked 900 silver and gilded

[attachmentid=62625]

DRA_gold_obv.jpg

DRA_gold_rev.jpg

DRA_gold_rev_0900_cu.jpg

Edited by speedytop
    double pictures

I wonder how many forum members would make the "Gold".... at the moment I could MAYBE scrape a bronze... but I would have to put a chili pepper in between my butt cheeks before I ran.... :jumping:

Chris,

I think you will find a rolled up newspaper with one end set alight is a far greater motivator ! Basically the idea is to reach the finish line before the flames start to burn more than the paper.

:beer:

Paul

Edited by Paul L Murphy

Chris,

I think you will find a rolled up newspaper with one end set alight is a far greater motivator ! Basically the idea is to reach the finish line before the flames start to burn more than the paper.

:beer:

Paul

Ahhhh ... the rolled up newspaper in the deriere was for the SA sport badge!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

there are a few errors in this thread.

1. "The conditions for the original bronze and gold types of 1913-14 remain a mystery."

Everybody must fulfill 5 requirements (only men):

- swimming 300m

- high jump or long jump

- running 100m, 400m or 1500m

- different competions to choose: javelin or shotput or discus etc.

- running 10000m or swimming 1000m etc.

No award for a function.

2. "There was no silver grade before 1919."

In German we say Jein, it is not yes and it is not no.

In the deed of foundation in 1913 all three grades were designed.

But for the silver badge you must fulfill the 5 exercises in 4 years. And there were only 2 years, 1913 and 1914.

3. "Here is a document for a 1929 Gold, earned, at that time, for a total of 8 years, and not at all connected with the recipient's age:"

The document is correct and it is connected with the recipients age.

It is the first repetition document for Gold, not the award document for Gold. It is the 8. repetion overall, and the 1. repetition for Gold, that he can get 7 years later.

And the bestowal number for this repetition document was 35473.

4. Rick, your sports badge in Gold, made by Eugen Marcus, marked 900 silver and gilded, is absolutely marvelous. It could be an unique piece.

But I think, it is not pre WWI, and I think, it is not an awarded piece.

Regards

Uwe

I beg your pardon for my bad English

I think, that the 3 Eugen Marcus sport badges shown here from Darrell, Rick and Hardy are post WWI pieces.

Regards

Uwe

Hello Uwe,

do you have any picks of pre WW1 sport badges? How do you spot the difference?

Regards, Hardy