News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The True 1st Pattern Assmann Fallschirmsch?tzenabzeichen

The vast majority of ?Text book? Luftwaffe qualification badges encountered were produced from 1939 onwards. Between 1935-39, firms such as Juncker and Assmann were producing badges for the early, non-combatant, Luftwaffe (With the exception of units operating in Spain). These early badges were made of nickel silver, aluminium and tombak, however the construction of these types were not too robust and were never intended to see the amount of wear that they ultimately saw, hence the need for a complete redesign and the emergence of the heavier badges of the war period.

It has only been recently that examples of these very early badges have come to light, the Juncker 1st pattern Fallschirmsch?tzenabzeichen being a prime example.

There is, however, now proof that Assmann produced an even earlier badge than those that appear in the ?38 catalogue.

Perhaps we should categorize this as a variant or trial version of their badge production as the eagle is the same (although slightly thinner) as those produced throughout the period from institution to war?s end. However with the wreath being completely different (as will be seen, the wreath is extremely more detailed than its 1938 counterpart) I would categorize these examples as being the true ?1st pattern? produced by ?Assmann?. Known in the collecting community as the ?egg-shaped? wreath, it can be found on both Para and Pilot?s badges.

For your viewing pleasure, an example (Just in) of the early 1936 ?1st pattern?, ?egg-shaped? wreathed Fallschirmsch?tzenabzeichen produced by the firm F.W Assmann and issued to members the newly formed Fallschirmj?ger battalions on the 5th November 1936.

The name, ?Obgefr Wagner? and his unit, ?Luftnachrichten.Kompanie.7 Stendal? */** can be found scratched on the reverse of the wreath.

Being a member of a divisional unit and recipient of such an early badge, I think it can be safe to say that ?Wagner? was one of the early members of ?Regiment General G?ring.? to complete his training at the Stendal Jump School.

* (Signals Company)

A little background.

On 29th October 1935, Reichsminister, Hermann G?ring officially ordered (L.A.Nr.5450/35.g.Kdos L.A.II.2A) the renaming of the ?Landespoliziegruppe-Berlin? (A unit formed by G?ring some two years earlier to combat communist activities.) The new name for this unit was ?Regiment General G?ring.?

In March 1936 the first jump school was opened at Stendal-Borstel airport and on the 4th May the first the training course for these new volunteer paratroopers began with an intake of members from the 1./Batl.Rgt G?ring, commanded by Major Bruno Br?uer.

During this course, on the 11th May 1936, Major Br?uer became the first member of the Fallschirmj?ger to make a parachute jump and also the first to receive a parachuting licence. (Fallschirmsch?tzenschein)

As training continued at ?Stendal? a new division was formed (July/Aug 1938), this being the ?Flieger Division.7? under the command of Generalmajor Kurt Student.

By 1939 (Pre-war), and after the use of the ?Flieger Division.7? in the occupation of the Sudetenland in October 1938, divisional units were as follows:

Stab.7.Fl.Div - Berlin-Templehof

Kommandeur - Generalmajor Kurt Student

Chief of Staff ? Oberstleutnant Gerhard Bassenge

General Staff Officers.

Major Heinrich ?Heinz? Trettner (Ia)

Hauptmann Walther and Hauptmann Osterrath (Ib)

Oberleutnant Lampertsd?rfer (Ic)

Divisional Units.

Gesch?tz Batterie.7 - Kdr. Oberleutnant Schram - Gardelegen

Luftnachrichten.Kompanie.7 - Kdr. Oberleutnant Schleicher - Stendal **

Sanit?tszug ? Kdr. Dr.Neumann - Gardelegen

Panzer.Abwehr.Kompanie.7 - Kdr. Hauptmann G?tzel - Gardelegen

Transport Kompanie.7 - Kdr. Hauptmann Rohloff - Gardelegen

LS Kommando - Kdr. Oberleutnant Kie? - Burg/Magdeburg

Aufkl?rungs Staffel - Kdr. Oberleutnant Langguth - Stendal

Kampfgruppe ZBV.1(JU52) - Kdr. Oberstleutnant Morzig - Burg

Kampfgruppe ZBV.2(JU52) - Kdr. Oberstleutnant Drewes - Stendal

Fallschirmj?ger Regiment.1 - Kdr. Oberstleutnant Br?uer

I./Batl - Kdr. Hauptmann Walther - Stendal

2./Batl - Kdr. Hauptmann Prager - Braunschweig

3./Batl - Kdr. Oberstleutnant Sydow, Hauptmann Schulz - Gardelegen

14.Kompanie.Pz.J?ger- Kdr.- Kdr. Oberleutnant Reitzenstein

Fallschirmj?ger Regiment.2 - Kdr. Major Heidrich, Stab

1./Batl - Kdr. Hauptmann Noster - Gardelegen

2./Batl - Kdr. Hauptmann Pietzonka - Tangerm?nde

3./Batl - Kdr. Hauptmann Burckhardt - Tangerm?nde

Fj.Erganz.Batl - Kdr. Hauptmann von Kummer - Stendal

Fallschirmschule.1 - Kdr. Major Reinberger - Stendal

Fallschirmschule.2 - Kdr. Major von Grazy - Wittstock

John

An exceptionally rare badge :love: and a super find for your Assmann series. I know of only one other example.

I once saw the corresponding pilot badge at one of the large US shows. It was really cheap in comparison to a regular pilot badge and I didn't buy because I hadn't seen another like it. How I regret that moment of not trusting my gut instinct.

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

:cheers: Rich,

Yep, I think the only other example I know of is in the Dr Robert Mallison (DK winner) Group. I?ll have to see if I can get the necessary permission to post the photo of him wearing his example.

I?ve come across a couple of pilot?s badges with the same wreath, but missed out on them?.

Softly, softly catchy monkey.

Now, is there an Ob?s out there? :speechless1: It's never ending!

A rare wreath indeed!! :love::beer: Congrats!! :beer:

There are many intersting points to make, but one that stands out the most for me are the uncharacteristic Assmann rivets.....not what I expected.

Still, a heart-stopper for the 'true' Asmmann maven. :beer:

There are many intersting points to make, but one that stands out the most for me are the uncharacteristic Assmann rivets.....not what I expected.

Hi Steve, A petit montage of a few pieces (top left; para/ top right; pilot/ bottom; alu ro/ag) showing the same domed rivets. It would seem ...the earlier they are, the neater the rivet. :cheers:

Hi JTW,

Ah...they are the same style rivits. Thanks for the close up shot. It appeared (to me) they were countersunk or at least flush in the first reverse pic. Thanks for clarifying (secretly I wanted them to be slightly different for uniqueness!).

Observer could be out there since there is a "egg-shaped" P/O!!

Steve

:beer:

You haven't seen mmiller pics shown here of his P/O...or was that just an apparition! :speechless1:

Hi guys!

How ironic. I haven't visited here in a while, and the very first thread I read grabs my attention, and cites one of my beauties. I still have a size limit on my images, so I will resize my ASSMANN egg-shaped P/O.

John,

Great information you posted above. I absolutely love your oval Para.

Regards,

Mark

[attachmentid=49421]

Edited by mmiller

And the unique makermark- A over A&S. This was an old scan, and did not enlarge too well. Now I have a digital camera (finally!) and could provide better images, if requested.

Thanks,

Mark

[attachmentid=49434]

Mark

In my years of collecting, I have never seen this 'style' of Assmann (wreath and bird combination). Add in the early mark....makes it even more unique! (perhaps...singularly unique...in my book).

TGIF :beer:

Edited by Steve K.

Mark

In my years of collecting, I have never this 'style' of Assmann (wreath and bird combination). Add in the early mark....makes it even more unique! (perhaps...singularly unique...in my book).

TGIF :beer:

Steve,

Yeah Baby! :beer:

Mark