News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Raul's Ribbons Review

Bob

Guest Rick Research

Raul Castro or any OTHER much bedecked Cuban Comrade for that matter.

I'm afraid this is much too blurry for me to even guess-- I am assuming that they wear "4 across" as a normal pattern, Soviet-style... but the asymmetrical ribbons still in vogue all run into each other and I can't even detect accurate colors with this smudge.

From the VERY little that I am trying to learn... it appears that there are a large number of awards whose existence remains clouded in mystery as foggy as this photo!

It is nice, however, to see that the type of generals' shirt shoulder boards I just got this morning ARE in fact worn slipped through plain lower straps as I suspected from their construction. :beer:

Maybe, maybe . . . .

1- Hero Star

2- Orden "M?ximo G?mez" (I); Orden "M?ximo G?mez" (I); Orden "Camilo Cienfuegos" ; Orden "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n" (I)

3- Orden "17 de Mayo" (??? - out of order on Lukas' site??); Orden "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n" (II); Orden "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n" (II); Medalla " Combatiente de la Lucha Clandestina"

4- Medalla "Combatiente de la Columna Uno Jos? Mart?"; Medalla "Eliseo Reyes" (I); Medalla "Combatiente Internacionalista" (I); Medalla "Por la Victoria Cuba R.P.A." (???)

5- Medalla Conmemorativa "40 Anniversario de FAR"; Order of Lenin (?); Order of the October Revolution (?); ??? (fraternal? Angolan??)

Just my guesses . . . .

Edited by Ed_Haynes

See also

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cuba/cuba1.gif

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cuba/cuba2.gif

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cuba/cuba3.gif

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cuba/cuba4.gif

and

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/America/Cuba/Castro/Cuba.htm

Though -- unusually for Yuri! -- there's not much real information there, just some nice images.

Someone with better Spanish than mine (= none) needs to look up "Decreto-Ley #30, de las Condecoraciones, Titulos Honorificos y Distinciones" (Gaceta Oficial de la Republica de Cuba of December 10, 1979).

We need a good book on Cuban medals!! (Hint?)

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Old guys squinting at blurs! :cheeky:

Where I differ from Ed is on

3)-- 2nd one is I think Medalla "Por el Servicio Ejemplar en FAR," 3rd I see as Medalla "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n." I can't make out the 1st or last in this row

4) 3rd one is, I think, Medalla "Lucha Contra Bandidos," while the last one is Medalla Commemorativa "30 Anniversarios de FAR" (1986)

The asymmetrical ribbons without spaces make it tough to tell where one ends and the next begins!

:Cat-Scratch: Old guys squinting at blurs! :cheeky:

. . .

The asymmetrical ribbons without spaces make it tough to tell where one ends and the next begins!

Could be, could be . . . the asymmetical business makes a hard task worse.

:beer:

• 2 years later...

1. Orden "M?ximo G?mez" (I); Orden "M?ximo G?mez" (I); Orden "Camilo Cienfuegos"; Orden "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n" (I);

2. Orden "17 de Mayo" ; Medalla "Por Servicio Ejemplar en FAR"(?); Medalla "Combatiente de la Guerra de Liberaci?n" (?) ; Medalla " Combatiente de la Lucha Clandestina"

3.Medalla "Combatiente de la Columna Uno Jos? Mart?"; Medalla "Eliseo Reyes" (I); Medalla "Fraternidad combativa"(?); Medalla Commemorativa "30 Anniversario de FAR"

4.Medalla Conmemorativa "40 Aniversario de FAR"; Order of Lenin (1979); Order of the October Revolution (1981); Medalla ?100th Birthday of Vladimir Lenin?" (???)

Yep Vic, very good job there :cheers:

But your new pic makes me want to pull my hair out, It seems to be a different bar with no similarites at all and where is his Gold star?

All I can make out right now:

Bottom row:

Soviet Medal for Strengthening Combat Alliance (1975)

Bulgarian Brotherhood in Arms Medal (1975)

Soviet Jubilee Medal on 100th Anniversary of Lenin's Birthday

Unknown, possibbly Angolan (see the MPLA Poster) 10 year MPLA? Does that exit?

Guys what are your opinions

Edited by Taz

Top row: seems to have the Medalla "Eliseo Reyes" (I) far right.

Second row: Distinci?n "Por el Servicio en el Ministerio del Interior" (20 years) far right

Third row:

Fourth row:

Fith row:

Bottom row: Soviet Medal for Strengthening Combat Alliance (1975), Bulgarian Brotherhood in Arms Medal (1975) , Soviet Jubilee Medal on 100th Anniversary of Lenin's Birthday, Unknown, possibbly Angolan (see the MPLA Poster) or Egyptian Medal of Exceptional Promotion?

Some seem familiar, you know the feeling? now where did I see that ribbon? I'm sure you know what I mean.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

The latest try,

any ideas guys?

Top row: Medalla " Combatiente de la Lucha Clandestina" , Medalla "Eliseo Reyes" (I).

Second row: Distinci?n "Por el Servicio en el Ministerio del Interior" (20 years)

Third row: DPRK Foundation 20th Anniversary Commemorative Order (1968)

Fourth row: Ho Chi Minh Order, DPRK order of labour.

Fifth row: 50 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR, ?, 60 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR.

Bottom row: Soviet Medal for Strengthening Combat Alliance (1975), Bulgarian Brotherhood in Arms Medal (1975) , Soviet Jubilee Medal on 100th Anniversary of Lenin's Birthday, Unknown, possibbly Angolan (see the MPLA Poster) or Egyptian Medal of Exceptional Promotion?

Row 3 (Medal for the War of 1939,1981) and 5 look like Polish ribbons?

Edited by Taz

• 2 weeks later...