News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ijzer medal - Belgium / public thank you

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks nice James...Ah, I certainly hope it's not your grave marker!? :speechless1::cheeky:

Tim

No Tim, I had the honor of serving my country's military but thank God, not on the Westeren Front during WWI. For those who served, it sure must have been hell on earth. This is part of the reason I collect Belgian militaria. :blush:

Edited by Gldank

Same here and no, I agree that it would not have been a nice place to be at back then. One day I hope to visit the area and be able to actually see the lands so many died for.

Tim

Same here and no, I agree that it would not have been a nice place to be at back then. One day I hope to visit the area and be able to actually see the lands so many died for.

Tim

I wish to do the same someday. Will see you there. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I still have questions on the fourragere for the Yser Medal/Cross. Apparently, the ribbon is this reddish color reminiscent of the Leopold I ribbon, but are there different designs in the finial?

Looking at the below PIC (don't beat me) :rolleyes: I see different style tips (ball) and wondered if they were due to different manufacture or designated different grades (I/E: Officer vs Enlisted)?

Are there more styles??

Tim

Looking at the below PIC (don't beat me) :rolleyes: I see different style tips (ball) and wondered if they were due to different manufacture or designated different grades (I/E: Officer vs Enlisted)?

Are there more styles??

Tim

Thank you James!

I have an "opportunity" but the end attachment appears to have lost the finial or ball at the very tip. Not sure if ones were made that way or if in fact the ball is gone?

If gone, were these one-piece construction or assembled and what is the chance to replace it?

Tim

Thank you James!

I have an "opportunity" but the end attachment appears to have lost the finial or ball at the very tip. Not sure if ones were made that way or if in fact the ball is gone?

If gone, were these one-piece construction or assembled and what is the chance to replace it?

Tim

I have only seen one-piece construction in either spun lathe bronze or wrapped crimped thin bronze sheet metal like the picture here on my Croix and the French sample. A jeweler could probably make one for you. I see the mini fourrag?res for sale on Belgian or French eBay from time to time. Maybe Hendrik on this forum may know where to get one in Belgium for you. Mine are all attached to medals or medal groups. :unsure:

Hi James,

No, thanks anyway. I really don't want to just "make" one up. I have a chance to get one, but the tip must be broken off and I was curious if they were repairable or not worth the time. I'll wait for a better one!!

I do see some modern ones on US ebay as well, but not really into "that". I did miss out on a couple nice French CdG with original ones though. :banger:

Tim

You can see this one is missing the ball but appears to have been sewn on the cord.

Edited by Tim B

Hi James,

No, thanks anyway. I really don't want to just "make" one up. I have a chance to get one, but the tip must be broken off and I was curious if they were repairable or not worth the time. I'll wait for a better one!!

I do see some modern ones on US ebay as well, but not really into "that". I did miss out on a couple nice French CdG with original ones though. :banger:

Tim

You can see this one is missing the ball but appears to have been sewn on the cord.

Sewn on is ok Tim but your sample my not have ever had a tip. It just looks like a real simple cone tip which is possible. Hmmmmmm :unsure:

Edited by Gldank

• 2 weeks later...

Well James,

Nothing more heard on the tip types, but I am going to take a chance and get this one as I just don't see these anywhere.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions on this!! :cheers:

Tim

Well James,

Nothing more heard on the tip types, but I am going to take a chance and get this one as I just don't see these anywhere.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions on this!! :cheers:

Tim

Tim, I really think it is ok. I would even be interested in purchasing it. You have my blessing. If you get it and don't like it, let me know and I will take it off your hands. Now that should really help you to make that decesion! :beer:

:beer: I see I will probably have to change the ribbon around (front to back), but it also has the black enamel bar! :cheers:

Tim

Very Nice! The more I see the more I believe all is well. Widow bar and all! :jumping:

James,

I think you were correct, the tip of the fourragere appears to be one that never had a ball type finial. It looks like it was "V" cut on the end and is a little more solid in construction than what I originally thought might have been a simple rolled thin planchet.

I'm happy with it!! :jumping: Not sure of the case at this point; any help?

Tim

Back to the Fourragere; I had asked earlier if all of these were of the colors of the Leopold I; so does this fourragere indicate that this soldier would have been entitled to the Leopold I award?

Tim

Back to the Fourragere; I had asked earlier if all of these were of the colors of the Leopold I; so does this fourragere indicate that this soldier would have been entitled to the Leopold I award?

Tim

I will have to go back and do some Belgian Leo I specific research. The fourrag?re of the French Army is awarded to all members of military units which have been awarded a mention in dispatches. It should not be confused with unit awards of particular decorations, where the medal itself is hung on the flag of the unit. For example, there are many units wearing the fourrag?re of the m?daille militaire, whereas only six units wore the medal on their flags.

During the First World War, the French Ministry of War first awarded the fourrag?re to units which had been recorded as distinguishing themselves more than once in the Orders of the Army. There were then six fourrag?res, depending on the numbers of Mentions in Dispatches awarded to the unit.

The fourrag?re is normally worn by members of a unit awarded the decoration. When they leave the unit, they have to relinquish the fourrag?re. However members who took part personally in the actions leading to the award of the fourrag?re can continue to wear the fourrag?re, even after leaving the unit. They can only wear a fourrag?re corresponding to the number of actions they actually took part in. Thus, if a member of a 5-mentions regiment leaves but took part in only two mentioned actions, he can only wear the croix de guerre fourrag?re and not the m?daille militaire fourrag?re.

So that is the French, I will have to see if this all truley applied to the Belgians too. Or, was it an entitlement to a personal award? :unsure: The research goes on. I have several great books on Belgian awards so I will check or let you know. Any Belgians out there want to chime in??

Evening James,

Yes, I was wondering if it may be unit awarded, but I didn't know if this is the only style of fourragere that was used by the Belgians. The French used slightly different colors depending, and like you say, depends on the conditions and if the member was present at the time of the award. Lots of variables.

Some more eye candy; I switched the ribbon around after contemplating leaving it as is, but with no specific history behind it or the person who earned it, thought "right-side up" is always best.

Thanks James! :beer: