News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ijzer medal - Belgium / public thank you

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Thought I would show off a new addition, and so very happy I was able match up to the beautiful Yser Medal I already had with the Fourragere & Mother's (Widow's) Bar. :jumping: All thanks to a very special lady and Belgian ODM collector! :cheers:

Tim

The Cross has a very light greenish surface patina, almost like a green verdigris tarnish you see on bronze (similar to that seen on statues).

Here's another Yser medal and I have seen these before with the bronze highlights quite evident. Really a sharp contrast with the bronze standing out against the backround. Do you think these might be specific to a different maker?

Tim

Very nice Tim. I really like theses medals too. The green tint is a coating applied to the medal rather than turning that way due to age. Makes the medal and cross look rustic. I also have several Flemish medals and crosses in my collection. Here is one.

The green tint is a coating applied to the medal rather than turning that way due to age. Makes the medal and cross look rustic. I also have several Flemish medals and crosses in my collection. Here is one.

Excellent James! :cheers:

Yes, I thought the finish was that way, almost a mint look to it but, I really like the ones with the bronze highlights; so classic. Beautiful medals. ;)

Tim

Here's a question for those in the know; I have seen gilded miniatures of the Yser Cross but, were there full size Yser Medals/Cross in gilt as well? Perhaps items specially made or refinshed for those requesting it?

Tim

The answer is NO but if you have the money, you can do anything...banger.gif

Here's a question for those in the know; I have seen gilded miniatures of the Yser Cross but, were there full size Yser Medals/Cross in gilt as well? Perhaps items specially made or refinshed for those requesting it?

Tim

Well, the historical importance of the Battle of the Yser is twofold. First, Germany did not manage to defeat the Belgian army and knock Belgium out of the war. Second, the German failure to occupy the last corner of Belgium helped to conclude the Race to the Sea and contributed to the establishment of the Western front.

For the Flemish the struggle of the Belgian army to hold on to its territory during the remainder of the war, and especially the experiences of ordinary Flemish foot soldiers, led to an increased Flemish national consciousness in the then overwhelmingly Franco-dominated Belgian society.

A great medal awarded for a bitter campaign. Maybe it should have been issued in gilt. violent.gif

• 2 years later...
    • 1 year later...

;) I'll see your medal and raise you a cross...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-3030-0-91444400-1388967021.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-3030-0-22243200-1388967055.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here is a pin that is rather interesting that was worn on civilian clothes. A friend has it with the medal in his collection. James

Never saw that one!

Any chance to get more details, please? (back pic, measuremants and a pic of your friend's medal?)

cheers

|<ris