News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patents Appending

Guest Rick Research

Here is a relevant example of a civil service "Patent" commission, in this case to "legal captain" equivalent Gerichtsassessor Carl Jean Arthur Horchler, on 22 July 1895 but granting him retroactive seniority of 17 July 1894

[attachmentid=35841]

closeup of the embossed seal:

[attachmentid=35842]

Arthur (the name he used) Horchler was born in Casel 26 January 1863, the son of Dom?nen-rat Jacob Horchler (1830-1889). A lackluster student, Art graduated from Cassel's Gymnasium at Easter Term 1884 at the age of 21-- two full years later than normal!!!

He then attended universities 1884-88 before deciding that what the world needed most, and Wilhelmine Germany in particular, was an overaged dullard in the law.

After duly passing his first State Examination for the bar (I have all these various and sundy papers, which are beyond the subject here), he was appointed a Gerichtsreferendar ay Amtsgericht Felsberg on 22 September 1888. After passing the second State Examination in 1895, he received the promotion above.

Guest Rick Research

Barely five weeks after the Momentous Paperwork above, on 31 August 1895 he transferred from the administration of CIVIL law to that of the MILITARY, becoming a legal Beamter on probation with the 22nd Infantry Division.

He was approved Garnison-Auditeur on 7 August 1896 with-- you guessed it-- retroactive seniority of 26 July 1896. It gets weirder, but we now return to the world of military commisions.

At some point Horchler had become a Leutnant der Reserve in Feldartillerie Regiment 31. I do not have that Patent for its date, or his subsequent Patents as Hauptmann dR and Hauptmann dL II.

But here is his Patent as Oberleutnant der Reserve 18 October 1900 D3d

[attachmentid=35847]

[attachmentid=35848]

[attachmentid=35849]

Horchler thus became a "hybrid"-- a military official (Beamter) AND a reserve officer. As a career military official, he had received the 1897 Wilhelm I Centenary Medal. As a reserve officer, he would receive the LD2 in 1901 and the LD1 in 1909, and yet in 1920 receive (attested and issued by his own hand as branch "?ltester") the XXV.

He was commissioned as a Kriegsgerichtsrat (judge advocate branch major) sometime 1899-1900 with a Patent of 26.7.96 (I do not have that), and a seniority of 1.7.96. On 9.8.06 he was paygrade bumped to "Rat IV. Klasse" ("senior major" had such a thing existed) with seniority of 30.7.06-- this by mere "dog license" paperwork.

From 1900 to 1920 he was a Judge Advocate in Baden's 28th Infantry Division, becoming chief legal official of the division from 1911/12.

Rick,

Horchler was commissioned as a Sekonde-Lieutenant der Reserve on 17.12.91.

As a Kriegsgerichtsrat (Rang V. Klasse) or Hauptmann equivalent was the replacement title for Garnison-Auditeur/Division-Auditeur I don't he would have been issued another Bestallung on the change of title on 1 October 1900 as his seniority remained the same. He may have received additional paperwork when upgraded to IV. Klasse (rank insignia of a Major) in 1906.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Glenn! :beer: I'm surprised his SL date was that early! I now wonder whether he went off and did his One Year Volunteer duty while--and that WOULD be quite odd--still in high school, thus accounting for what I took to be a freakish two year delay in graduation?

Some things we will never know....

Now if only I had a nice pair of shoulder boards to match his final military justice rank....

Anybody with other types of military related Patent and Bestallung papers please post them (Evil Twin to the contrary :P ).

W?rttemberg and Saxony have not been seen yet--none in my collection.

From the same collection, a Bavarian pair from just before and late in the war-- quite a rapid rise, since even in wartime it usually took 4 years to go from Leutnant to Oberleutnant!

Robert Garbe was commissioned a Leutnant der Reserve in Bavarian J?ger Battalion 2. Note his seniority number at top right. This was how the Bavarians kept track of who was senior to who-- but unlike the Prussians with THEIR weird rank date suffixes, Bavarian rank Lists never SHOWED these seniority positions-- so I don't know what GOOD they did in "real life!"

[attachmentid=33689]

Are you kidding me here !!! Thats my Hometown battalion, the one I comb shows looking for documents to.... :angry::blush:

Not much in the way of promotion in a J?ger battalion.... Garbe commanded the 4th Company, will see is anything can be found ....

Rick,

a little something on Robert Garbe:

3.8.14: 2./R.Jg. 2

3.11.14. Wounded

3.2.15: E./1. Jg.

13.2.15: R.Jg. 2

19.11.15: F?hrer 2. Rdf./2. Jg. then 4./2. Jg.

15.8.17-4.12.18: Flieger Ersatz-Abteilung Schlei?heim

Regards

Glenn

Rick,

managed to find Horchler's promotion to Hauptmann der Reserve: 19.11.08. Here is his promotion gazetted in the 24th of November 1908 edition of the Milit?r-Wochenblatt. He would not have received a further patent on transfering into Landwehr status.

Regards

Glenn

This has been wonderful! As usual I am lost by Horchler. Perhaps you all can help straighten me out. Just focusing on his commissioning side.

As Rick said we will never really know but in trying to piece this together?.

He got his One Year Certificate after his Untersekunda year, served his one year and RETURNED to the gymnasium to earn the Abitur (1884) so he could go to university (1884-1888).

Assuming he passed into the reserves as an aspirant NCO he would have to do two training sessions. One per year. After the first year?s eight week training session about how to be a platoon leader, he is promoted to Vizefeldwebel (1889???). After the second year (1890???) He would take the officer?s examination and would be promoted EXCEPT that he was artillery. Now it gets real murky? Because of his branch he would be an Ausseretatsm?ssigen or supernumerary until he had served one year, gone to a technical school and passed another test (Berufspr?fung).That would make it 1891. Commissioned a Lt.dR.

Ok all good until The Oberleutnant Patent in October 1900. I?m lost I also need help as I do not understand what D3d means??help me Mr. Wizard I?m falling!!

Where have I gone wrong Horchler is driving me nuts!!! :speechless::speechless:

Guest Rick Research

Glenn: :beer: on Horchler's Hauptmann date-- particularly as you must have uplinked this while driving at high speed on the Autobahn!

Where'd the Obscure Garbe data come from? His non-operational (?) flying service may have been enough to have been the "link" that made him-- possibly-- a Luftwaffe court martial official in 1944.

Joe: Horchler has been driving ME nuts since I obtained paperwork on his family going back to the 1790s from our own Jeff Floyd in 1994. (Among other things, his father the civil service "major" was required to obtain HIS father, a civil service "sergeant major"'s permission in writing to get married as an adult, with much attesting from civil/police/church authorities a lifetime BEFORE all the Nazi Nuremburg Laws etc.)

The weird suffixes after Prussian and navy commissions are their seniority within those of that rank promoted on the same day. If there was only 1, he had no suffix (which is why I always try to SHOW it if there was one.). If there were two, the first had no suffix and Officer 2 had "A" after his date. They skipped some letters, but ran through single letters, then double letters ("Aa," "Bb") then into double letters with numbers-- "G4g" to things like "W57w" during WW1. :speechless1:

All unduly complex (even for me) and would have been easier simply with plain old NUMBERS, but that's not how Prussia did things.

So, Oberleutnant der Reserve D3d was senior to Oberleutnant der Resefve E3e, but junior to Oberleutnant der Reserve C3c.

Rick,

the information on Garbe is from a list of the active and reserve officers as at 1 August 1914 of those battalions that made up the later K.B. J?ger-Regiment Nr. 1. Published in the "K.B. J?ger-Regiment Nr. 1 im Weltkrieg".

Back home now!

Regards

Glenn

Rick,

Thanks for your clear explantion of D3d. I still do not get the date? Why Oberleuntnant before his commission date? I'm missing something simple.....

Most One year men could finish the Abitur after the Oberprima year at age 19 and still do the year before university. He does seem odd. :speechless::speechless:

Guest Rick Research

"Why Oberleuntnant before his commission date? I'm missing something simple....."

I have NO idea what is confusing you, or why. 2nd Lt 1891, 1st Lt 1900, Capt. 1908. ?????