News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sport Badges

A possible third variety (what Battushig shows as W29), only have it in bronze (or is it just badly silvered bronze?). Identical to what Battushig shows. Suspended from a flag-colored scroll suspender (or is this a "mule"?).

• Replies 100
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And a sort of special case (and not the same generic medal), for the 1966 Spartakada (what Battushig shows as W28). Shown here in gold and silver, I assume there is a bronze "out there" too.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have been trying to puzzle out the wrestling badges and I think I shall soon ("soon") have emerged victorious and will be able to sort them out here (= "watch this space").

You may also want to glance at the parallel thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6987 .

The hardest thing to get right are the ranks. There are no weight classes, everyone wrestles everyone else (just so long they are all male, which is why the wrestlers' vest is designed the way it is ;) ). While there are separate badges for success at the provincial naadam, what I am attempting first are those for the national naadam, in Ulan Baatar (where the first round starts out with 512 wrestlers in competition).

Ranks:

Дaяaр дуурсaгдaх дaдaй дaян дaрхaн aвaргa / Supreme Champions ? ?Everywhere celebrated whole ocean sacred giant? -- there seems to be no separate badge for this, though the award of a labor hero title seems more common

Aврaгa / Giants/Titans ? the top wrestlers who have been victors in two consecutive naadam

Aрслaн / Lions ? those who have won all their matches in a single naadam (in the final, ninth round)

Зaaн / Elephants ? those who have won up to the seventh rounds

Haчин / Falcons ? those who have won in the fifth round

More to come . . .

As, as with most things to do with Mongolian phaleristics, one question gets resolved, and six new ones rise up in its place.

What I have outlined above was the pre-2004 system. In 2004, everything changed.

The badges in use until 1992 have been shown before (W 12), but I repeat them here, just to keep the story straight. I am missing the Aрслaн / Lion badge.

From 1992-2004, a new badge, in Mongol bichig was used. Battushig shows this (lion) in his book as W 13. I can't show one.

In 2004, everything changed. A confusing new law on wrestling came into effect. (Lawmakers are the same, globally?)

The ranks for naadam competition were expanded:

1. Avraga or Giant/ Titan - 2 consecutive victories in naadam (if more then the other titles -- ?Everywhere celebrated whole ocean sacred giant? -- will be added but without any new wrestling-specific badge)

2. Arslan or Lion - one victory in naadam (winner of the 9th round, but according to law, the two finalists both became automatically Lions automatically because they won their 9th rounds and reached the finals, so, in practice, there is no title for the actual naadam 10th and final round winner!)

3. Garid or Garuda (Indian mythical eagle-like bird) - winner of the 8th round, finalist

4. Zaan or Elephant - winner of the 7th round

5. Khartsaga or Hawk - winner of the 6th round

6. Nachin or Falcon - winner of the 5th round

As usually, 512 wrestlers compete in naadam, all starting from the first round. But I am told that last year there was a confusion because 1024 wrestlers competed at naadam.

Shown below are (left to right): Giant, Lion, Garuda, and Falcon. Battushig shows a Hawk as his W 14e.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Archery is also more complex in contemporary naadam competitions. Three titles now exist:

1. Ulsyn Darkhan Mergen -- for the three time winner at the naadam

2. Ulsyn Hoshoi Mergen -- for the two time winner at the naadam (W 17)

3. Ulsyn Mergen -- the first time winner at the naadam

These are shown below.

Archery is not as popular as wrestling, though both men and women compete together, men firing at a range of 75 meters (40 arrows) and women from 60 meters (20 arrows).

Edited by Ed_Haynes

While the horse remains immensely important and powerful in Mongolian culture, horseback riding does not to be as much rewarded in the naadam as the other two "manly sports". Perhaps some of this has to do with the fact that the jockeys are boys and girls between the ages of six and twelve. The trainer of the winning horse at the naadam is awarded this badge (W 18).

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an interesting new variety (W NIB 14), a "Lion" wrestling badge for aimag (provincial) naadam competitions. This seems to be ageneric aimag badge.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

W NIB 15 -- Bayan-Uglii Aimag Spartikad, 1960

An odd, exotic, and strangely designed (medal-style) badge for the 1960 aimag spartakad in the far, far west. Including exotic sports it seems, including a Mongolian equivalent of the Afghan buzkashi.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 5 years later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

As, as with most things to do with Mongolian phaleristics, one question gets resolved, and six new ones rise up in its place.

What I have outlined above was the pre-2004 system. In 2004, everything changed.

The badges in use until 1992 have been shown before (W 12), but I repeat them here, just to keep the story straight. I am missing the Aрслaн / Lion badge.

Here is the missing one from Dr. A.Battushig's catalogue. W12b. MPR, Lion.

20141209_190424.jpg?dl=0