News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish? Artillery field cap

Hello there,

I have had this nice wool field cap for a couple years and I have always assumed it to be Danish (from the crown logo on the inside, which is barely visible but I think I have correctly ID'd it as the Danish crown) and probably from the 20's-40's. I believe the red tassel is a Danish item and for officers. I really do not know the details of this one and any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat

and here is the inside, with very faint markings on size etc. I think the language is Danish, but I could be wrong as I don't know the differences in Nordic languages. Any help is great!

Cheers,

Pat

I've never seen this type of cap before here (but I'm not an expert in uniforms).

But I don't reckognize any Danish words either. Is it possible to get a better scan of the markings inside? Then I can quickly tell you if the words are Danish or not.

/Mike

Hmm, I will try to decipher the writing here, and maybe someone can figure it out. It may also be an Italian cap made by a German supplier,as some words look Italian and German. Here it goes:

1st Box of info:

Crown, followed by"E.C.I.VESTUART?

Unden 1??? (a date, but barely legible, looks like 1939 or 1930)

Taller 11 M 5 E ?

TALLA 1"

The 2nd box I can't make out anything except for "22 1 55" which could be a date, but just a guess. There is also a stamp of a "J" with a box around it. Now hopefully someone with good detective skills can decipher this cryptic writing.

Cheers,

Pat

Hmm... none of this seems to be Danish. "Talla" is definitely not Danish unless it's some weird 'internal lingo' that I've never heard of...

Sounds more like Italian or Spanish to me (but as I said - I don't really know much about uniforms)...

If it turns out to Danish after all, then I'll stand corrected :P

/Mike

Pat,

On another forum (I'm not sure if it's frowned upon to post a link here?) there is a cap exactly like yours with the same markings.

The conclusion there is: "Spanish infantry enlisted, years 40-50s"

/Mike

Hi Mike,

Good sleuthing! Can you PM me the link? I would like to see it for sure. That is very cool if it is a Spanish cap from the Franco era. Thanks again,

Pat

Hi gentlemen,

I re-posted this cap in the proper Spanish Civil War/Franco era forum so now it won't be wrongly identified and in the wrong forum. Thanks for your help on this one, I was a way off! :P

Cheers,

Pat