News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this badge genuine

Guest Wayne sinnott

Guest Wayne sinnott

I am undecided to the originality of this bage, it is marked jimme & sohn berlin rather than jmme & sohn berlin or just jmme, has anyone else come across such a stamp before and do you think its the real thing or a later copy.

Hi Wayne,

Just to keep things neat and tidy, I'm moving this thread to the Luftwaffe section so that you'll have a better chance of members in that field giving you the benefit of their experience..

It?s always best to post nice large pix so that we can see details of the badge, but going on the maker mark, alone I would have to say that this badge is a copy.

If you follow this link, you?ll find an example of a ?JMME&SHON? Para badge with the correct style of maker mark. Compare, digest and if you feel that you need further clarification, and can post some larger pix, do.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=595&st=0

Guest Wayne sinnott

Hi and many thanks for your replies to my queries over the badge, looks like I am going to leave this one alone, if the badge is a copy why would they make such an obvious mistake on the naming, I will try and post a larger picture, many thanks for your help and sorry for posting in the wrong area,

Wayne

I agree with John, in so far as to say, I really don't like the maker mark.......indeed obverse and reverse pic's would be an advantage for further deliberation......but he maker mark, it's not right or what you'd expect.

Kr

Marcus

Guest Wayne sinnott

Did you guys notice it says JIMME?  biggrin.gif

Why would someone go to all the trouble of copying a badge only to spell the name wrong ?

There are many examples of fake badges where manufacturers names have been spelt wrong or non existent manufacturers LDO or Lieferant numbers used. Who knows why ? Possibly a mistake or ignorance on the part of the faker or maybe (but unlikely) as a warning that this is not good.

You need to look past the manufacturers mark and compare the rest of the detail of the award with a known original, by the maker that this purports to be. I warrant this will clarify things a little more.

Guest Wayne sinnott

The badge in question is currently for sale on an internet military auction site (dont know if I can use their name), the seller has informed me he purchased it off a well known German militaria (UK) site about ten years ago and has the bill of sale and a recent valuation off the seller for over ?300, the reserve was ?200 and has now been met by another buyer (Ihave pulled out because of your recent information) and am very grateful for your help and saving me from an expensive mistake.

Guest Rick Research

Fakers seem to have a certainty quirky sense of humor, or perhaps "pride" in their work. Telltales like wrong spelling "brand" a particular faker's work... as well perhaps as avoiding potential copyright infringement, if any company happens to still be in business.

This rolleyes.gif "well marked" badge is in two pieces, eagle held on with "rivets," two colored...

and is completely made out of cast LEAD, the way homemade "garage" fakes were when I started collecting in the late 1960s! :wacko:

Finger nail scratch marks!!!! :speechless-smiley-004:

Guest Wayne sinnott

Oh how I wish I went fishing for a hobby or collected items of low value that no conman was interested in, I have collected British ww1 and ww2 medals for years and never felt so confused, why oh why did I start collecting German badges !!! :violent-smiley-017: animal

It certainly is a learning curve, Wayne. Have no fear, we reprobates will try and make the transition a little easier.

Rule 1. Ask, ask and ask again.

2. Post pictures before you part with the hard earned.

3. Buy the piece, not the story.

4. You must always buy the drinks when it?s your birthday.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ?TR? collecting.. :food-smiley-004: