News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Plaque

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 2 years later...

Hoping perhaps someone has more of these to share. I'd love to see more. The examples posted so far are terrific! I'd still love to get a railroad car plaque and some from official buildings as well one of these days. So if you've got more please consider sharing them with us.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

• 2 years later...
    • 2 months later...

Hello Schaerbeek, this is an interesting find. I haven't seen one of these before... What size is it?

It looks kind of similar to one I have up on ebay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170914048928?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Which has a diameter of 42cm.

The submarine plaque you have has more detail on it though. Where did you find it? Did you see any more than just the one of them?

Also what do people think of the brass soviet train plaques up on ebay at the moment from a Russian seller? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-Coat-of-arms-USSR-Soviet-Russian-Metal-Plaque-LOOK-/251104672599?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item3a77013b57)

They are a bit pricey. I cannot figure out if they are legitimate originals or replicas, since all of these train plaques were made of aluminium, not brass, so what do people think?

• 6 months later...

I picked this one up at an estate sale yesterday, in "Backwater, VA." Paid $25 for it. Unusually, there is no inscription in the banner. It's aluminum, 16x12" approx.

Repro?

Opinions?

I see that railway plaques have been thoroughly discussed already, but I would like to go back to the subject and show mine. I purchased it because it is very similar to the one seen in Baikonur on a train used to pull the rockets to the launch pad since my last visit in 2008. Even if I have got a lot of criticism about this plaque I am convinced it is original. Used to be gray painted, the paint has been carefully removed and only few traces are still visible.

I will show the original first...

...and now, the "presumed" original:

That looks all good rocketscientist. One of the most common designs used and available. The only fakes of these I have seen are cast from bronze. Originals are crisp and in aluminium with the 4 rivets as in yours. I rarely ever see the crossed wrench / hammer as a separate piece, and it was not always used... I'll try to find some photos.

I picked this one up at an estate sale yesterday, in "Backwater, VA." Paid $25 for it. Unusually, there is no inscription in the banner. It's aluminum, 16x12" approx.

Repro?

Opinions?

Hello, it looks like a 16 banner emblem with 8 ribbons on the left so it would be from around 1946-56. Most 16 ribbon designs I have seen don't have an inscription on the ribbons except for the border marker emblem. I have seen this design once before in someone's collection. Most likely an original... I do not think this is one of the common 'recast' designs

Thank you for the comments! I've had some other opinions elsewhere today, to back yours up.

Note how the wrench is on the left. On all the others I've seen, it's on the right.

• 1 month later...

Here are some examples of fake stalin plaques:

Original on the left and reproduction on the right

PA180013'' target='_blank'>PA180013>PA180013

PA180016'' target='_blank'>PA180016>PA180016

You can see the lack of detail in the inferior casting of the reproduction, the lack of rear mounting studs, and the fake black patina aging.

Similar story with the fake soviet emblem plaques. I'll dig some photo comparisons out and post

Edited by sgmseng