News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Complete canteen cover assembly.

I already do have one canteen but it's for re enacting. I figure I'd wait around and try to score a canteen for 15 to 20 USD and then put together I'd have a canteen set much better then anything they even have up at collectors guild at around the same value or a little more. That was why I paid so much for it.

I saw a late war canteen go last week on ebay for a mere 12.50

Mike

I agree it will look great once you complete it. This is the 1917 pattern harness, so you really need a canteen dated 1917 or 1918. I am on the other side of this problem (the more difficult side) trying to find a nice 1917 pattern leather harness and stopper for an unissued Gebr. Bing canteen and cover that I have.

Chip

Gentlemen I've been had. The canteen assembly I got today is not all original. There are at least two East German components on the rig and I have documented this with photos and compare them with originals and an East German example.

Good thing there is an inspection period as it is going back to seller for a refund. Note: The seller probably had no idea. I hope he did not pay too much for it at the gun show years ago as I was told.

First photo is of my reproduction canteen cover rig however the metal components parts are original as verified by Ken at German Helmets Inc from who I bought it from.

At left is an East German Cover Center is the Ebay cover and right is my reproduction canteen strap with the original components.

Close up of the hooks, my original next to the Ebay example. You cannot see it by the photo but the way they got the east German hook on there was to widen the hole, fit it over with a gromet and and somehow press it down to hold. Or so it looks. The Added gromet type of ring was not seen on any originals I have seen.

Edited by Hun Helmet

Note the WWI example is more rounded then the more square East German one. The Button on the cover itself is of a questionable period and it was backed for re enforcment with a piece of mordern looking by virtue of being so clean and none matching to the cover, material and looks just like the job I did on my repro cover for re eancting and probably for the same reason.

I would guess a re enactor put this together from parts for use and later sold to the ebay seller when he got out of the hobby.

Mike

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Field gear is very difficult to judge by just looking at a few photos. Flaws are easily hidden. I have gotten several surprises myself, mostly with original pieces having been altered in some way. Better luck next time.

Chip

Welllllllllllll!!!! I was wrong! I had it checked out by No man's land militaria. It's all good. It seems the East Germans simply used the same dies for making their hardware that Germany used in the first world war.

I learn something new every day!

Everything is good and the seller who feels the cover went way over common sense pricing wants to send me a % back. But I told him while I agree he does not have to. I left good feed back so he does not have to worry about bad feed back as the deal was fair and square.

I also added that I won't refuse any partial refund either :cheeky:

Mike