News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Medal of Honor of Labour

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Got this fellow in today. Not one you usually see plastered all over the forums ....

A little background:

The French Medaille D'Honneur du Travail (Medal of Honor of Labor) was created May 15, 1948 to combine four different medals awarded by four different French Ministries. The Medal of Honor of Labor has four degrees of which silver represents 20 years of service.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

• 1 month later...

This 3rd class medal in gilt over silver is named and dated on the reverse and represents 30 years of service.

It has been named to "A. Tudisco 1959"

Obverse:

Chris,

M?daille du Travail.

It is not specifically for working for the Gvt, even if it may be so. This medal is awarded to salaries (or assimilated) for long service, minimum 20 years in the normal case, and normally in no more than 4 companies. Can be reduced to 18 years in case of penibility fo the job... You have to ask for it, and your employer decides or not to make the demand to the Ministry. Generally it does it, as a reconnaissance of the employee's merits. The statutes of this medal have a lot evolved along the years; the 1st type being created in 1866.

The face (obverse) has not evolved a lot, as it is still the work of Maurice Borrel since the beginning.

There are several different types of reverses. I have been told more than 80 different versions...

This medal is quite popular in france, as its awarding by the emplyer is generally associated with a financial bonus. So employees generally ask for it...

Ch.

Chris,

M?daille du Travail.

It is not specifically for working for the Gvt, even if it may be so. This medal is awarded to salaries (or assimilated) for long service, minimum 20 years in the normal case, and normally in no more than 4 companies. Can be reduced to 18 years in case of penibility fo the job... You have to ask for it, and your employer decides or not to make the demand to the Ministry. Generally it does it, as a reconnaissance of the employee's merits. The statutes of this medal have a lot evolved along the years; the 1st type being created in 1866.

The face (obverse) has not evolved a lot, as it is still the work of Maurice Borrel since the beginning.

There are several different types of reverses. I have been told more than 80 different versions...

This medal is quite popular in france, as its awarding by the emplyer is generally associated with a financial bonus. So employees generally ask for it...

Ch.

And it beats what my company will offer me on my 20th (3 years to go).

This site http://nom-de-famille.linternaute.com/nom/ is handy for getting an idea where a French recipient may have lived.

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

Just received the 4th of 4 grades today.

This is the Gold award for 40 Years service complete with rosette and circular laurel leaf. This one is inscribed to "M.M. SAU 1990".

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

• 8 months later...
    Guest Darrell

The last piece of the puzzle arrived today. It came together with a Silver 20 Year that I already have, but interesting to see a couple to the same person.

This is the 3rd of 4 Classes (for 35 Years). It is Gilt with a Rosette and Gilt Palm Device. Named to P. DQUIVEE (1979).

Full up Both Sides:

Edited by Darrell