News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Medal of Honor of Labour

Guest Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Darrell

Since you asked for further pictures showing the series of French Medals of Honor for Long Services (rather than Labour), I have put these pictures together for you and for the forum to see.

As was previously reported, most "gold" medals are struck in gilt silver by the Paris Mint. This can be seen by the numeral 1 between two cornocupiae at 7H on the the reverse of the medal. The 1 means the finest alloy used by the Mint, which is 950/1.000 pure silver.

They can also be obtained in 18 carat gold, which is the 3rd finest alloy used by the Mint. This is why the hallmark on the reverse is 3 between two cornocupiae at 7H on the reverse.

Such gold medals are quite expesive, depending on the current value of fine gold. At this time, they probably cost upward of $1,000 new (750 Euro). A silver gilt medal for the same level would be about 85 Euro (approx. $110). But, rather strangely, gold medals can be occasionnally bought from dealers or on eBay for considerably less ($150-250).

I hope this addition proves useful.

Very best regards

Veteran

• 4 years later...
    Posted · Hidden by vernon_kell, January 28, 2012 - No reason given
    Hidden by vernon_kell, January 28, 2012 - No reason given

Great pictures - here are some from my collection.

These are names to a husband and wife Monsieur A. Nicot and Madame O. Nicot...

The first two are named to A & O Nicot respectivley and dated 1965 - They are both awarded by the ministry of work and social security.

The third is awarded to Madame O. Nicot - dated 1974 from the ministry of work.

Great pictures - here are some from my French collection.

Left to right...

1. Awarded to Monsieur A. Nicot 1965 from the ministry of work and social security

2. Awarded to Madame O. Nicot 1965 from the ministry of work and social security

3. Awarded to Madane O. Nicot 1974 from the ministry of work

Note the change in the reverse from 1965 to 1974 and the change of ministry name.

Can anyone tell me what the thin blue, white and red band attached to the third medal is for..??

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

Steve R

Edited by vernon_kell

Thank you for this discussion of a relatively overlooked [sometimes even in France] and generally underappreciated award.

Responding to your query 'Can anyone tell me what the thin blue, white and red band attached to the third medal is for..??' -- this is an indication of the award designed to be worn on/in the lapel of a jacket or coat. The thin metal underlayment can be bent around the lapel edge & then sharp point inserted into the lapel material to keep the thing in place. Usually, this style represents the 20 year medal. It is possible to find lapel rosettes as well; sometimes these will have indicia for higher levels [simple laurel branch or wreath] of the medals centered on the rosette.

Similarly, the corresponding Belgian series of long service awards are often ignored by collectors but offer a fascinating and relatively cheap hobby opportunity with many varients of both physical decorations and bestowal documents available. Lapel devices also exist for the Belgian awards.

This Medal of Honor of the Ministry of Defense is a long service award for civilian employees of the Ministry. This ranges from office workers in the Ministry itself to workers in Defense arsenals. There are three varieties : Ministry of Defense Army (in French Armee de TERRE), Admiralty (MER) and Air Ministry (AIR with a slightly different ribbon).

They all are interesting to collect, some being very difficult to find.

Veteran

• 6 years later...