News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Civil Decoration for Long Service in the Administration

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third class (Bronze) medal. This one is smaller but to large to be a miniature, so I believe that the bronze was smaller than the rest of the medals. I am sure one of the more knowledgable members here can confirm or deny this for me. Also I believe this one pre dates 1918 as it has 3 leave on the branches.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Here's a scan showing the difference in the medals and the ribbons. I understand that the Civil Guard and the Fire Brigade were issued with a different ribbon. Thanks to all for looking, hope you enjoyed :cheers:

Here the other ribons of the civilian decoration

(1) ribbon for act of courrage

(2) ribbon for the fireman and garde civique (civilan guard)

(3) ribbon for act of courrage for the fireman and garde civique (civilan guard)

Here's a scan showing the difference in the medals and the ribbons. I understand that the Civil Guard and the Fire Brigade were issued with a different ribbon. Thanks to all for looking, hope you enjoyed :cheers:

Here the other ribons of the civilian decoration

(1) ribbon for act of courrage

(2) ribbon for the fireman and garde civique (civilan guard)

(3) ribbon for act of courrage for the fireman and garde civique (civilan guard)

Third class (Bronze) medal. This one is smaller but to large to be a miniature, so I believe that the bronze was smaller than the rest of the medals.

No, it wasn't : I have both smaller and larger size bronze medals in my collection ... "normal" size (originally 30 mm as decreed in 1867) over the years has varied between 28 and 35 mm diameter. According to the Born? book, the 28mm type started to appear around 1898 whereas a 33mm one came into being about 1902. After WWI, upon ribbons being standardized to 37 mm, the medal grew to 35 mm.

Cheers,

Hendrik

...the Civil Guard and the Fire Brigade were issued with a different ribbon.

Sorry : typo in my previous ... for 35 mm read 37.5 mm !

Here's a few pictures showing decorations with such ribbons and the odd bar as well.

First a 28 mm bronze medal on the bravery ribbon :

[attachmentid=50092]

Secondly, a 35 mm (no typo this time, the size does exist) gold medal for long service with the fire brigade or civil guard :

[attachmentid=50093]

and finally, on a fire brigade/civil guard bravery ribbon, a silver 2nd class cross :

[attachmentid=50094]

The bar, having "Courage-Moed" as its legend (bravery in both French and Flemish), indicates a second award of the decoration, the black enameled bar is, of course, denoting a posthumous award. The bravery bar is in the same metal as the medal or cross and so can be executed in gold, silver or bronze depending on the decoration it is worn on.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hi Henrick and Guy.

Thanks for the extra info and pictures. Like everything else in this hobby when I think I have a set, this big voice in the sky hollers........"NOT" Oh well :speechless: .

My Bronze measurese out at 29.5mm with a set of electronic calipers.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Hi Hendrik

I agree with you, just not to sure what to clean it with!!

A Sapeurs-Pompier hat badge and a ribbon bar with the Order of Leopold II -not sure what grade it represents-, the Commemerative medal for WW2 with crossed swords, the Resistance medal, and the Long Service for the Sapeurs-Pompiers