News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Civil Decoration for Long Service in the Administration

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice medals!!!

I like it...

I have only the ribbon of the Fireman and civil guards, got it with some deal and just allow it to sit just in my box...

Concerning the Leopold II ribbon, I think it's the knights grade as the medals had a small piece of metal, illustrating the medal, in the color of the medal.

Also are knights of Leopold II very very common for veterans of both world wars.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Why is the stripe in the 1st class wider than on this one, is it the class of the medal, or a old vs new, or would it be the wrong ribbon - thought I can't find another medal to match it too.

Hello Laurence,

Wrong ribbon I'm afraid ... Don't know the ribbon either but suspect it might be one taken from a non-official medal because of the resemblance to the correct fire brigade ribbon.

Cheers,

Hendrik

I had been waiting for the right moment to post this picture.

It shows four Civic Decorations:

The Civic Cross for Long Service in the Fire Department and Home Guards (watch the suspension!)

Unknown Civic Decoration, I guess the Civic Decoration for acts of Courage and Devotion with the Fire Department or Home Guard

Civic Decoration for Acts of Courage, Devotion and Humanity x2

Any of you guys have an idea on the service and if my guesses for these Civic Decorations are correct?

Hi Erik

Nice photo :cheers: it looks like he has a "Grenade" symbol on his collar. Could that indicate a branch of service?

@ hendrik

You now have me confussed :unsure: When I visit your site

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/

I see 2 of the Sapeurs-Pompiers with the same thick green stripe in the center, though mine might be a little darker green. Yet the ribbon bar and the other 2 medals and g_deploige's photo in post #9, show a thin center strip, is that the incorrect one then?

Thanks for the help.

The Civic Cross for Long Service in the Fire Department and Home Guards (watch the suspension!)

Unknown Civic Decoration, I guess the Civic Decoration for acts of Courage and Devotion with the Fire Department or Home Guard

Hello Erik,

Trust you to come up with a picture like this :cool::lol:

I'm not at all sure but it looks to me as if the man is wearing three Courage+Devotion ones - presumably gold, silver and bronze classes. Noted the difference in sizes and I don't think it's the picture but him actually wearing various sizes. The suspension on the Long Service one is indeed not the usual one but I've seen just the one in another picture some time ago. No clue as to why that suspension was used ... perhaps a manufacturer's error ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Nice photo :cheers: it looks like he has a "Grenade" symbol on his collar. Could that indicate a branch of service?

I see 2 of the Sapeurs-Pompiers with the same thick green stripe in the center, though mine might be a little darker green. Yet the ribbon bar and the other 2 medals and g_deploige's photo in post #9, show a thin center strip, is that the incorrect one then?

Laurence,

I think I have to revise my opinion on those ribbons : in fact, after checking with my "bible", I've found 4 different ones can apply (thinner and thicker white stripes, different shades of green, even two size of ribbon width) although your ribbons with the thin center strip would make that a fifth variety ... still, I do think it's impossible as Belgian manufacturers are not exactly known to be very precise :rolleyes:

I'm not into service branch insignia at all but feel confident to say the "grenade" is not related to fire brigades ... which leaves us with the "garde civique" I suppose.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Trust you to come up with a picture like this :cool::lol:

I just bought a house, so can't afford the real medals anymore ;)

Here's another one.

This civil servant is wearin both the cross and the medal. As a nice attachment he added a crown to his Administration Long Service Medal.

I had been waiting for the right moment to post this picture.

It shows four Civic Decorations:

Any of you guys have an idea on the service and if my guesses for these Civic Decorations are correct?

Hi Eric,

Nice pictures!!!

I think that the second one from left isn't a civic decoration, it appears to have a thick darker center stripe which could be the Leopold II medal.... But then.. It's in the wrong place.....

However I really think that it's not a civic decoration based on it's ribbon.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Hi Eric,

Nice pictures!!!

I think that the second one from left isn't a civic decoration, it appears to have a thick darker center stripe which could be the Leopold II medal.... But then.. It's in the wrong place.....

However I really think that it's not a civic decoration based on it's ribbon.

Kind regards,

Jacky

On the actual picture it's clear that it's a Civic Decoration and certainly not a medal of the Order of Leopold II. The ribbon is not really clear though. The dark stripe in the center could also be a fold.

Hi,

is it allowed, to post some pieces out of my collection?

The first one is a very small piece in silver:

cross: 29.5mm

ribbon: 27mm (new?)

The monogram differs from the other pieces presented here.

I do not know, to which period it belongs.

Regards

Uwe

I beg your pardon for my bad English

• 1 month later...

Nice silver one Micheal :cheers: It has a nice patina to it.

Slowly filling holes

3rd class medal bronze "Valor" I have seen some Sapeurs et Pompiers for sale but not maay people in Belgium seem to like paypal, and driving 100k to buy Euro is no fun, so i let them pass....

• 2 years later...

This is medal I own, I have seen it on a local numismatic fair and bught it. I didn´t knew what it is and that this is a Belgian civil decoration :D. But it´s a bit different in details as the medals I have seen on most photos... cca 28mm in diameter..

This is medal I own, I have seen it on a local numismatic fair and bught it. I didn´t knew what it is and that this is a Belgian civil decoration :D. But it´s a bit different in details as the medals I have seen on most photos... cca 28mm in diameter..

Hello Iver

Thanks for the contribution. They varied in size over the years. Here are a pair of mine showing 2 different sizes. Also I believe the bronze one pre dates 1918 as it has 3 leave on the branches.

A quote from Hedrik earlier in this thread.

No, it wasn't : I have both smaller and larger size bronze medals in my collection ... "normal" size (originally 30 mm as decreed in 1867) over the years has varied between 28 and 35 mm diameter. According to the Born? book, the 28mm type started to appear around 1898 whereas a 33mm one came into being about 1902. After WWI, upon ribbons being standardized to 37 mm, the medal grew to 35 mm.

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Also only another maker?

I cannot believe it, that it is only another maker.

I think, it should be another period.

Left is the piece from Laurence Strong from Post 6 and 7, in the middle is my silver service medal (29.5mm), right is my bronze medal for bravery (30.5mm).

All the three medals are small versions, but there is another acanthus and another cypher, there are dotted cross arms etc.:

Uwe

• 1 month later...