News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thai Dushdi Mala Medal - Original

Dear Club-Members. I bought this medal today at a small antiques shop in vienna only because i remembered i have seen it before. at home i browsed my auction catalogues and found it at K?nkers 2005 auction described as Dushdi Mala medal for Arts and Science from Thailand.

The medal pictured their looks exactly as mine. On the rim it is stamped monnaie des paris, then an unknown hallmark and the word argent (for silver). Nevertheless it looks a little bit like a cast.

i 'am always very scecptical with medals from asia because they woukld fake even their grandmas if they would sell. Can somebody please have a look at the medal and tell me his opinions.

regards Haynau

Measures: 4,8 cm and 7 cm including suspension, very heavey and very thick

i 'am always very scecptical with medals from asia because they woukld fake even their grandmas if they would sell. Can somebody please have a look at the medal and tell me his opinions.

That is a troubling comment to which I take offense. If there is faking in play here, it is clearly done by EUROPEANS, not Asians.

I have several opinions, but only a few on the medal.

Sorry Ed i don't agree.

I have been to Bejing and Chengde in China and even our Local guide warned us to buy antiquites because the are all faked.

On the market you could buy everything, and in good handicraft quality: carved Ivory, old cloisonne, silver ingots and coins (tael, sycee-money), red mao-bibles, japanese and chinese swords and sabers, pottery, jewellery etc.etc. And on the whole market the only EUROPEANS where tourists looking for bargains.

Maybe the EUROPEANS create the market by their demands but it is done by CHINESE, THAIS or whatever.

regards

Haynau

Gentlemen,

Please keep this a civil discussion.

Fakes are made where ever there are fakers to make them.

I agree that we are all entitled to our own opinions, but lets not fall into the trap of stereotyping and broaden our minds to the concept that fakes are produced by all countries and to label all medals coming out of Asia as being suspect is simply ridiculous.

I also agree with Ed that your comment

because they woukld fake even their grandmas if they would sell
    is rather offensive.

Gentlemen this is an international forum please be mindful of what you say there a many Asian members of this forum and it not becoming to make insults to fellow members :angry:

because they woukld fake even their grandmas if they would sell.

Dear Clubmembers I took some time to think about my expression. I have to admit it was offensive.

So i honestly want to excuse for this words if somebody felt insulted i am sorry. After all, a grownup man should be able to confess his faults. As i work for the newspaper i have a strong intention to phrase handy.

regards

Haynau

Edited by haynau

• 3 months later...
    • 9 months later...

Mine is also a fake.

The markets in Cambodia seem to be awash with fake coins as well... all those mice big silver French/US/British/Austrian coins that seem to have been so popular 100 years ago...

The markets are geared for fools like me.

Still, if I am going to get screwed out of EUR40 I am happy it is by a whizzened old Cambodian woman who survived Pol Pot than some wise a?? young street punk.