News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish Olympic Decoration:

Hi all,

This is a piece I've only seen in a book... Ribbons And Medals by H. Taprell Dorling, Edited And Revised by Alec A. Purves.

I think it's rather similar to the 1936 Olympic decoration, right down to it's ribbon:

[attachmentid=50719]

But I think it's a very striking design and I for one would love to have one! :love::jumping:

I've no idea how much these go for and can only assume they are quite rare as again, I've never seen one outside of this particular reference book.

If anyone has a color photo... or happens to have one or knows more about them please pass it along. I for one would love to see this one in color.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

Jani Tiainen's "The Orders and Medals of Finland" should be out (I hope I hope I hope Ooooo Oooo) sometime very soon, with spectacular pictures and, yes, for those of us incapable of Finnish-- bilingual in ENGLISH which is a first.

I got a sneak peak in February and have been waiting for my copies ever since like a kiddie at Christmas. Swedish I can... blunder by in. Finnish is beyond me. English... well, I can cope. :cheeky:

Dan,

in my opinion that really is one of the nicest awards around, and by being simply much more elegant, it beats the hell out of it's German counterpart any given day.

I don't have any of my reference books at hand right now, but out of memory I can tell you, that these were created for the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, and indeed after the German example of 1936. The order came in three classes, 1st class neck badge, 2nd class breast badge, and a merit medal. The ribbon is light blue with white stripes, the enamel is white, everything else gold. The reverse side features a stylished "1952". The Medal is silver and features a picture of the order. If I remember correctly, the majority of the 1st class crosses went to the foreign officials of the Olympic Commitee.

But I try to post more details and color pictures soon. (unless someone else does that first, of course :))

Regards,

Pete

Dan,

in my opinion that really is one of the nicest awards around, and by being simply much more elegant, it beats the hell out of it's German counterpart any given day.

I don't have any of my reference books at hand right now, but out of memory I can tell you, that these were created for the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, and indeed after the German example of 1936. The order came in three classes, 1st class neck badge, 2nd class breast badge, and a merit medal. The ribbon is light blue with white stripes, the enamel is white, everything else gold. The reverse side features a stylished "1952". The Medal is silver and features a picture of the order. If I remember correctly, the majority of the 1st class crosses went to the foreign officials of the Olympic Commitee.

But I try to post more details and color pictures soon. (unless someone else does that first, of course :))

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Much obliged! :beer: Can't wait to see it in color... and would LOVE :love::jumping: to see all three classes at some point. Just beautiful, even in black and white. :love:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Jani Tiainen's "The Orders and Medals of Finland" should be out (I hope I hope I hope Ooooo Oooo) sometime very soon, with spectacular pictures and, yes, for those of us incapable of Finnish-- bilingual in ENGLISH which is a first.

I got a sneak peak in February and have been waiting for my copies ever since like a kiddie at Christmas. Swedish I can... blunder by in. Finnish is beyond me. English... well, I can cope. :cheeky:

Hi Rick,

Sounds like a great book. I've always liked the look of Finnish Orders and such but never managed to get any. If I did, I think this Olympic Order... or the whole series of them would be my choice. Of course knowing my luck they're exceedingly rare like the German ones and will be far, far out of range of my humble budget. :unsure:

But sure nice to look at even in books. It's one I've wanted to post for some time and just had to wait till I'd gotten a scanner and managed to get it up and running. :jumping::jumping:

Applause is most welcome... especially since it's the "holy Epson". :P And the price was definitely right... $000.00. Figured I couldn't beat that with a very big stick! :cheeky:

In other words... :cheeky: I'm awaiting approval of "die Scan Meister". :cheers:

Dan

Well, looks like there really isn't much to add. These awards seem to be quite unknown in the local literature too. Following information comes from the Book "Kunniamerkkikirja" by Juha Tetri, as well as the bad picture. Sorry about the quality, apparently I don't know how to scan. Also, I don't own a Rick Research -approved "holy Epson", but some old HP that's only good for scanning text :banger: Anyway, this should at least give you the idea.

Orders of Merit of Finnish Olympic Games were founded on 21.7.1951, after the German example, as stated above. They were designed by Oskar Pihl, and intented to be rewarded to persons who had contributed in making the 1952 games a success. The regulations of bestowal were strict, and followed the "usual manners and international practice" (whatever that means). Slighty under 3000 orders and medals were bestowed in total, of which some 1/5 to foreigners. However, they did receive nearly half of the 1st class orders.

Pete

[attachmentid=50942]

Hi Pete,

Hey, I think the pics just fine. First I've seen of all three and in color to boot! Just what the doctor ordered. :P Many thanks!!!! :beer:

Yeah, I definitely have a feeling they'll cost a pretty penny if and when one ever turns up for sale. But beautiful pieces, that's for sure! :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Dan :cheers: