News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian unit patch on Brodie

Hello,

I was once told which unit this rimless Brodie belonged to but have unfortunately forgotten. I had a feeling it was the 1st Div., 1st Brigade, 2nd Battalion from NSW but this site shows a different patch http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11189.asp

I was told exactly which unit once but lost the piece of paper I wrote it down on. As I can't find it on the digger history site, does anyone here know which unit?

Thanks

Tony

i'm afraid it doesn't look too promising and here's why: the patch on your helmet has a 2ndAIF (WW2) grey background border around it. WW1 patches didn't have a background at all.

The colour patch is for the 2nd battalion infantry however it was superceded by a patch of the colours purple over green on 16/3/1915.

Ref: "distinguishing colour patches of the Australian military forces 1915-1951" by Keith Glyde.

- Chris

Chris,

Does make it a little suspect doesn?t it. I wonder if a bloke who was wounded in March, came back later in the year (much, much later in the year), was given a trial shrapnel helmet and painted his old divisional sign on it. :unsure:

I?ve seen a lot of dodgy signs on Brodies but this one really does look pukka even though the unit disbanded early in 1915. At least the helmet is 100%.

Tony