News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thailand ribbon bars

David S

Still learning these but just too attractive not to post.

A number of these ribbons are commemorative of royal longevity.

The first two are:

Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

Edited by David S

Guest Rick Research

Others? There are "others?" Any idea on the age from whatever the commemorative ribbons are? :food-smiley-004:

The fact that I am unable to read Thai handicaps me greatly. No online translator will do Thai without considerable expense, so I have to stumble along slowly

On this bar the ribbons are:

Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

The Freeman Safeguarding Medal, Second Class

The Chakra Mala Medal

Commemorative Medal of the Occasion of the 50th Birthday of Queen Sirikit - 1982

Commemorative Medal of the Occasion of the 72nd Anniversary of Birthday of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej

The oldest ribbon on a I have on a Thai bar is a 25th Buddhist Century Celebration for 1957. Commemorative ribbons go back to Rajaruchi Medal for King Rama in 1887.

Edited by David S

I like the unusual and not usually seen. animal

The tough part is remembering the names flame

I had to rescan this one to fit.

Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of tThe Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand.

Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

The Freeman Safeguarding Medal, Second Class

The Border Service Medal

The Chakra Mala Medal

The 25th Buddhist Century Anniversary Medal - 1957

Commemorative Medal of the Royal State Visits to the US and Europe - 1961

Commemorative Medal of HRH Prince Vajiralongkorn's Investiture as Crown Prince -1971

Commemorative Medal of the Occasion of Elevation of HRH Princess Sindhkorn to the title of 'Princess Maha Chakri" - 1978

Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the 50th Birthday Anniversary of HRH Queen Sirikit - 1982

Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the 84th Birthday Anniversary of HRH Somdej Phra Sri Nakarindra Borommarajjonnani - 1984

Commemorative Medal of the Occasion of the 72nd Birthday Anniversary of Birthday of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej - 1988

Edited by David S

• 1 month later...
    • 8 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

And here's one from Ulsterman :beer: for me today, still lots of mysteries here, since I can't find anything :( at Ribbons Of The World:

[attachmentid=32883]

Order of the White Elephant, ?? Class

Order of the Crown, ?? Class

??

??

Buddha 2500 1957

Royal Visit 1961

??

Crown Prince 1971

Crown Princess 1978

??

Queen's 50th birthday 1982

84th birthday 1984

??

??

??

obviously something Red Cross

Many thanks to Ulsterman for the :catjava: something this weird induces in a ribbon bar :Cat-Scratch: like me!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

If you don't know these, they may help:

http://www.geocities.com/cintasdemedallas/.../tailandia1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/cintasdemedallas/.../tailandia2.gif

http://www.geocities.com/cintasdemedallas/.../tailandia3.gif

Things Thai are very badly documented, though.

Such bars are said to be quite cheap and easy to find in military tailors' shops in Bangkok.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

I have "link issues" with my primitive equipment...

what does the top row of mine say about what sort of and what rank of person wore this, and what's the last of what seem like a spate of jubilee-ish ribbons say as actually made "on or after?"

Thr primary (top) two are

Knight Commander of The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

Knight Commander of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

Remember . . . these may not be military (the horror !), Civil Service (Police or Customs) is a possibility.

My guess as to rank and / or status would be Colonel equivalent, maybe higher.

:Cat-Scratch:

Edited by David S

Civil or military what's the difference? These awards are given for service to the State and king after all.

Let me check my notes. My (distant) memory is that many of these Thai orders are linked pretty mechanically in grade to the rank (civil or military) of the recipient.

As many of these Thai ribbon bars are simply available"off the rack" in military tailors' shops, you just stroll in and buy what matches your entitlement (or, as a collector, what matches your idea of what you want to add to your stable).

Guest Rick Research

Hmmmmm....

an extremely elderly Boy Scout?

(I am, myself, certainly among the Senior-most Ex-Bobcats. :rolleyes: )

I am enormously relieved that the gold devices = Commander (so silver ones would be officer grade?) rather than merit medals or some such... since there appears to be over 30 years of traveling party-going here... so this guy was SEATED rather than SERVING.

The Boy Scout medal is given for service to the scouts (a much more important organization in Thailand than hereabouts)-and donations, sometimes. One can also legitimately obtain a few royal orders for donations to the royal AIDS charity and the royal red cross charity.

I think #13 is the 1988 longest reign commemorative medal.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Aha, OMSA's website says the next to last ribbon is for "Longest Reign Medal" but neglects to provide that most basic of yardsticks...

what YEAR it was for.

what YEAR it was for

From what I have found the year is probably 2000.

The current King Bhumibol Adulyadej, also spelled Phumiphon Adunlayadet ("Strength of the Land, Incomparable Power"), also called Rama IX came to power in 1946, the coronation being in 1950. He is still in office. I've seen the Longest Reign called 50 year Reign.

The research is ongoing.

Edited by David S

Guest Rick Research

Excellent!!

Research/learning always ongoing. Recent Thai medals themselves are every bit as shoddy and sleazy as everybody else's these days, but my oh my these ribbons are beauties.

Many happy hours already and more before all is done--

keeps me off the streets, out of trouble.