News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thailand ribbon bars

David S

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine I got from ebay. It seems this is

1) Commander (3rd cl) Order of the White Elephant

2) Commander (3rd cl) Order of the Crown of Thailand

3) Commemorative Medal Silver Jubilee 1971

4) Commemorative Medal Crown Prince 1972

5) Commemorative Medal Princess Sirindhorn 1978

6) Commemorative Medal 84th Birthday 1984

7) Commemorative Medal 60th Birthday of Queen Sirikit 1992

8) Commemorative Medal Longest Reign (2000?)

9) Commemorative Medal King 72nd Birthday 1999

What I would really like to know:

- What rank did this person have, approx.?

- Are these bars already faked?

Thai1.jpg

Edited by webr55

"Faked"? Hard word to define. They are, as I think I said, readily available ready-made with military tailors all over Bangkok.

You walk in and buy a ribbon bar that matches your entitlement, or one you'd like to have in your collection, or one you'd like to flog on eBay.

Maybe the question to ask is whether anyone has ever worn these ribbon bars? Short of a DNA test, I'd suggest "no".

Edited by Ed_Haynes

"Faked"? Hard word to define. They are, as I think I said, readily available ready-made with military tailors all over Bangkok.

You walk in and buy a ribbon bar that matches your entitlement, or one you'd like to have in your collection, or one you'd like to flog on eBay.

Maybe the question to ask is whether anyone has ever worn these ribbon bars? Short of a DNA test, I'd suggest "no".

Doubtful-there is almost no market for these and there is hardly a plethora of them on ebay. I would suggest that this is a tailor-made bar that was worn by an upper/ mid-ranking bureaucrat-a sort of Bernad-type to somebody's Sir Humphrey (ref:"Yes, Minister") and either was an extra or worn infrequently-as many of us do these days in our blue suit world. I wear my medal bar twice a year at best .

• 7 years later...

From my past visits to Bangkok, ribbon bars and medals up to the Knight Grand Cordon both the orders of the Crown and Elephant are readily available. I have also handled boxed sets of the higher orders, for sale at very high prices, up to the Rajamitrabhorn itself, but never seen the ribbons or the devices.

Even so, the currently issued ribbon devices are made of a lightweight metal with enamels, nothing like the silver metal and enamels with exquisite detailing as in the early example David posted.

In Thailand, there are two types of ribbon bars. The first type uses actual silk ribbons cut from a reel. The second uses individual threads to make up the colours on the medal ribbon.

-alf