News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baltic Beauties: Lithuanian Gediminas Order &

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I'm posting these for a friend who just turned them up locally.

What class is the Gediminas, and is this suspension correct?

The ? regimental badge is of classic tsarist type overly complex multi-part design, marked "IG" and "585."

[attachmentid=51632]

[attachmentid=51633]

Gedeminas badges of the first, second and third classes are 48mm. badges of the fourth and fifth classes are 43mm.

The differences come in the suspensions and the addition of a rosette to the fourth class.

The entire suspension looks like a later addition in this photo. The fourth and fifth classes have very simple rectangular bars. Pkus, the ornate device has a strap on the revere for a backing riibon, which is not part of the Gedeminas order.

The unit badge is far beyond by limited skills with Lithuanian insignia.

• 4 months later...

Hi Rick,

Glad I can help you out for a change. A little late but none the less.

The Order of Grand Duke Gediminas that you show is the second issue type as it is enameled on the reverse also. Unfortunately the ribbon hanger is not original.

More info................

The Order of G.D.Gediminas came in two separate issues.

The first issue was from 1927 to 1930. It came in four classes of crosses. The first issue can be identified by not having enamel on the reverse of the cross. The sizes were as follows. 1st class cross was 69x69 mm and usually worn on a over the shoulder sash for dress ocassions. There are pictures of Gen. Zukauskas wearing this large size cross at the neck on a non dress uniform of the day. The 2nd class cross was 63x63 mm and also worn as a neck order. A Breast Star to the order was awarded and worn with the 1st and 2nd class crosses. The 3rd class cross measured 56x56 mm and was also worn at the neck. The 4th class cross was 50x50 mm and was worn suspended on a ribbon above the left breast pock of the uniform.

The second issue Order of G.D. Gediminas was awarded from 1930 thru 1940 in the prewar years of the Lithuanian Republic. The order was transformed at this time from a four class to a five class decoration with three medals to the order. This was done to bring it into line with other European orders. The second issue crosses can be identified by having enamel on the reverse. As Jeff correctly stated the sizes were standardised at 48x48mm for 1st thru 3rd classes and at 43x43 mm for 4th and 5th classes. A rosette was used to differentiate between the 4th and 5th classes.

The spacing of the dark purple the bands on the golden yellow ribbon were also different for the two issues.

The Order of G.D. Gediminas has been reinstituted again in the early 1990s when Lithuanian regained it's Independence. It is a current Lithuanian award for merit to Lithuania.

The badge you posted is a graduation badge for officer's who completed higher military studies. Similar to a War College course. Nice badge other tahn the screw post and disc is missing.

Hope this helps some. :beer:

All the best,

Tony

Edited by Tony J

• 1 month later...

Uwe,

Seeing that he is not wearing the breast star to the order, the 3rd class Commander's cross is probably correct.

If you know the name of the officer I may be able look up which grade he was awarded in a rank list I have a copy of. His shoulder boards show that he is a Pulkininkas (full Colonel) in rank. I will see what I can find out.

All the best,

Tony

Hi Tony,

that is the complete picture with all the informations I have:

Regards

Uwe

Uwe,

This is a picture of General Staff Colonel Boleslavas Jakutis.

I will post some more about him soon.

The dedication on the photo reads as follows.

To the Honorable Mr. Ginsburgis.

(from) General Staff Colonel Jakutis.

Bruselles, 1929, 29th of May.

The picture was taken in Kaunas , but I can't make out the photographers name in the lower right corner.

More to come later.

All the best,

Tony

P.S. How 'attached' are you to this picture? :rolleyes::cheeky:

Edited by Tony J

• 3 weeks later...