News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Stahlhelm M16 mm E.T.66

Hello gents,

Just back from Vancouver island from the third wedding of the summer and found this little relic in an antique store. It is a my first Stahlhelm that I think is a M16 as it has the early chinstrap connection posts as well as other matching characteristics, and there is no liner left. Like 95% of these models, the chinstrap is missing from the helmet as well. The maker mark is E.T.66 which stands for the Eisenhuttenwerk Thale company in Thale/Harz and is a size 66 (the lugs match this size as well). This company is a match on the makers lists and for size and model. As you can see it is a bit rusty (I cleaned a bit off with a dry rag) but I think it is better to leave it like this rather than get it repainted. You can still see a bit of the original Feldgrau paint on it and I would like to preserve that. Does anyone else have any opinions on what to do with a helmet with this amount of rust? It is not rusted through or thin anywhere (besides a dent on one side) and I am not sure if it was a ground found one or probably an outbuilding find, any help on that is welcomed as well.

My second question on this helmet is if it is possible to tell if it was used by the Freikorps or in ww2 by the German forces. I know that they were all painted the same and usually the only difference was the addition of decals or paint to signify the Freikorps unit or Nazi army unit. I am just wondering if there is any other signs of it being used in ww2 as well as ww1, and on the Freikorps aspect as well.

Thanks for looking and of course any comments on originality are great also, but I am 99% sure it's a good'un!

Hopefully someone can help out on the questions and I will talk to you soon,

Cheers and many thanks,

Pat

You can see the E.T.66 marking and the chinstrap connector posts in the previous post as well. The last pic I have for your reference is a little closer up on the condition of the helmet. Please feel free to leave your comments and help, I am very excited to finally stumble upon a Stahlhelm!

Cheers,

Pat

Hello Pat,

I think it looks great and wouldn't treat it with anything. I've seen them with much more rust than that.

The liner band marking looks a little wide for the metal M17 type, I think it's only about an inch or so wide, so I'd have a guess at it only having seen the M16 liner.

As for being used post war, don't know.

I'm sure someone with more experience can tell you for sure.

Tony

Pat,

Nice helmet, if it was battlefield pickup it was from many years ago, perhaps even during the war. I would not try to restore it. If it were me all I would do is to put some light oil on a rag and go over it inside and out to kill that rust. That will make it dormant so it will not get worse and spread. In addition it will probably bring out the color of the paint better for display and is not irreversible. It is your helmet and your choice of course. I would NOT clear coat it with anything like I have seen some people do with relics. Good find. :beer:

Dan

Pat,

Nice helmet, if it was battlefield pickup it was from many years ago, perhaps even during the war. I would not try to restore it. If it were me all I would do is to put some light oil on a rag and go over it inside and out to kill that rust. That will make it dormant so it will not get worse and spread. In addition it will probably bring out the color of the paint better for display and is not irreversible. It is your helmet and your choice of course. I would NOT clear coat it with anything like I have seen some people do with relics. Good find. :beer:

Dan

I've mentioned this stuff before, but it bears repeating. Boeshield T-9 does a great job of rust control. Doesn't affect paint, dries....dry, so no oily sheen and no dust or lint retention. I use it on my EK's, bayos, guns, etc. Seems to stop zinc rot, too.

Careful on adding any oil and make sure it will not damage the paint. Most oils will penetrate the paint and lead to more degrading of it.

Baby oil I hear will bring out the color and evaporates over time not harming the paint.

Mike

Edited by Hun Helmet

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :beer:

As a purist, my gut is still leaning towards just leaving it be, but if I notice the rust getting worse I will definitely have to get some baby oil on there or that Boeshield stuff. I think I will check out a bottle of Boeshield for my bayonets as well, looks like good stuff! I am just a little paranoid of stripping the rest of what little paint is left, but I guess I'll just store it in my antiques cabinet and check it for any worsening of the rust (The cabinet is fairly cool and dry though, especially since Kelowna is an oasis in desert territory). Any more comments on the helmet, what to do with rust, and if there is a way to tell if it was used post-ww1 please feel free to leave them.

Cheers and many thanks gents,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Great looking helmet! Probably an early battlefield pickup or souvenir by the look of it. I think the guys learned fairly fast that a dirty or rusty look on a helmet helped to give them a bit of camo and keep them from being too obvious. Definitely don't want to stand out as a target when everyone is shooting in your general direction! :cheeky::beer:

I've got a couple of these... also without liner, etc. Will have to do up some pics and post at some point.

Thanks for sharing... great find! :beer:

Dan :cheers: