News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Collar Litzen and Shoulderboard Devices

Dave,

Here is the one you mentioned. The last time you saw this I used the sellers pics, should look a little better now. This a private purchase pre war dunkelblau flieger rock for either a senior NCO (Sergeanten or Vizefeldwebel) or a Fahnrich mit portepee of either Fl. Abt. 2 or FEA 2.

Dan

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Makers label. Made for Herr Rosenfeld of 12th Gren. Rgt. later he transferred (permanently) to the air service and the uniform modified to suit his new unit. Had he been temporarily seconded to the air service, no major modifications would have been neccesary. I have found two men of that name in the Air service. Most likely owner (so far) was later Leutnant Franz Rosenfeld Pilot License #609 dating from December 1, 1913, (Born Aug 18, 1888 in Berlin; killed Oct 3, 1915 Oschenfurt a. M.) of Armee Flug Park Falkenhausen. Rank is not given at the time he got his license and no others fit the age, time period etc..

""Crash report,

On 3 Oct 1915 shortly after 12.00 p.m. a military biplane landed on a field near the farm "Spessart" of the community district T?ckelhausen, district Ochsenfurt. The plane took of in Gotha and had orders to fly to Stra?burg. Crew members were Hptm. Friedrich Marnet ( Kgl. Bayer. 4.Infanterie-Regiment ), Lt. Franz Rosenfeld ( Kgl. Preu?. Fliegerabteilung ) and Mechanic Walter Steffien (AFP "Falkenhausen" ). The crew did not think that it would be possible to fly the shortest direction over the Thuringian forest and so they decided to fly via Gotha - Eisenach along the railroad in southern direction. Being at a height of 600 m over the Main-valley the observer got disorientated. After a short talk with the pilot the two officers decided to land the aircraft for orientation purpose. When the aircraft glided down the mechanic warned that the field below was freshly plowed and that there are deep furrows against the landing direction with two bigger elevations in it. When the aircraft made contact with the first elevation it bumped up in the air again and then the lower wing crashed in the second elevation. At this point of time the mechanic Steffien managed to jump out of the plane without injuries. Because of the crash the landing gear was broken. Therefore the plane crashed into the freshly plowed field and turned over, burrying the two officers under itself. Hptm. Marnet died while mechanic Steffien and shepherd Fassnacht tried to free the officers from the plane. With the help of the inhabitants from the nearby village Hohestadt they managed to get Lt. Rosenfeld out of the completely wrecked plane. He was brought to a hospital in Ochsenfurt but died there the same day at 7.10 hours p.m."

I may never know for sure if it was his.

Dan

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Here we have a very late war Friedensrock of a Leutnant of Garde Uhlanen Regt. 2 who was seconded to the Air Service. The boards are oddly flecked green and white, are sewn in and appear to be original. I am aware that men of Garde units came from all over Germany, could this man have been from Saxony or one of the Saxon Duchies? I was struck by the oddity of this uniform which was most likely made c. 1918. The red wool trim and gold bullion litzen are of the finest pre-war quality, but the feldgrau is very rough and coarse as used on the mantel and the 1915 buttons fill in for those that must be no longer obtainable. Sorry for the wrinkles, it is fresh out of the footlocker. I have updated the photos, there that looks better.

Dan

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Apparently the family ripped the label out before selling it. :angry::mad::shame: I can't think any dealer or collector would have done it.

Dan

IPB Image

Dave,

While I know these are not as nice condition as yours, I like them. Unfortunately I do not have the room to display them or the mannequins to make them better in the photos. This is it for the uniforms with litzen, but I may pull out my pre WW1 SWA colonial uniform and start a thread on them.

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Dan

You are right. There are some odd things on your Friedensrock. It looks like the muted M-15 field boards were used on the tunic and all my flieger props don't look like yours. Does the Fechterabzeichen on the friedensrock have a green line in the center? I was able to find a couple of pictures of of another collector's M-1910 private purchase nco fleiger waffenrock as a contrast to yours.

Dave

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here is another installment of "I love litzen". This is a M-1910 waffenrock for a major of the Prussian First Guard Regiment of Foot that I traded away(including the bar) several years ago. What is really interesting to me is the fact that all of the litzen was made in silver bullion thread and was directly applied to the cuff!!

Dave.....

What you don't know (and now will) is that -I- acquired this very same tunic from the person that got it from you. It's residing quietly (and for the "duration" of my earthly existence) in my collection.

I'm curious about where it came from and how you came to acquire the tunic? Dealer purchase, collector, or from somewhere else?

Les

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had the time to scan everything for this thread yet, but here are some nice Litzen that I wouldn't mind having! Pre-March 1916 Bavarian general's examples. Silver wire on a red background.

Chip

You are right. There are some odd things on your Friedensrock. It looks like the muted M-15 field boards were used on the tunic and all my flieger props don't look like yours. Does the Fechterabzeichen on the friedensrock have a green line in the center?

Dave,

Yes. They are subdued boards. Technically it should have tombak buttons instead of the 1915 pattern and pre war style boards, but I believe it was made very late in the war (based on the coarseness of the feldgrau)and perhaps these were not made that late. The winged prop devices are different, but the prongs do not pierce the entire board, so I believe them original to the uniform. The "fechterabzeichen" has a light blue center line flanked by two narrow yellow lines which are then bordered by the gold bullion. Definitely an odd uhlanka full of inconsitencies and questions, but that is one thing that attracted me to it.

Dan

• 2 years later...