News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schutztruppe Iron Crosses....

• 4 weeks later...

OK, some new info....

A poster named "Luderitz" on the Schutztruppe Forum came up with the following info...

"However, on the 5 March 1917 v. Hadeln was sent to England together with a group of 30 Officers and 3 non-commissioned officers. The reason why is still unclear to me and I am busy researching this. I can only think that he was exchanged with English P.O.Ws. and that is how he got back to Germany during the course of the war. There is no doubt that he was awarded the Iron Cross while on active duty in D.S.W.A. "

My query was ... how did a POW in GSWA get an award doc made out on Berlin at the beginning of 1918... and how did he join the 2. Garde Division as a POW !?!?!?!!

The above answers a few questions..... he got the preliminary EK doc... because he was in germany.

Usually wounded could be traded, if it was considered that they were no longer capable of serving. I assume they must have taken an oath not to serve anymore.

However... Grenzschutz at the end of the war was obviously different, von Hadeln must have volunteered... and it was authorised... in this doc which I did not get...

Hi,

can anyone remember what the

A.m.W.d.G.b.

is for?

And does anyone know who signed?

Thanks

Hello Chris.

A.m.d.W.d.G.b.

A.? ( amtlich?) mit der Wahrung der Geschaefte beauftragt". For those in need of a translation :

Tasked with the handling of official transactions.

As to the name "Keil" ??

Bernhard H. Holst

Guest Rick Research

Actually a load of Iron Crosses got through into East Africa during the war (along with vastly more useful ammunition) on the blockade runner "Sprerrbrecher 'A' "

The documents are signed "KLIE."

It would have been nice if he could have signed his RANK too, to be certain that we had an officer and not some Beamter, because the only possible officer Klie would very much explain that job title abbreviation as "Somebody's Got To Do This, But Why ME?"--

Emil Klie (1875-1949) formerly of Feldartillerie Rgt 26 and with absolutely no tie to colonial service whatsoever was a Major in 1918-19 before going on into the Reichsheer. Retreaded in WW2 as a Generalmajor zV.

Actually a load of Iron Crosses got through into East Africa during the war (along with vastly more useful ammunition) on the blockade runner "Sprerrbrecher 'A' "

It would have been nice if he could have signed his RANK too, to be certain that we had an officer and not some Beamter, because the only possible officer Klie would very much explain that job title abbreviation as "Somebody's Got To Do This, But Why ME?"--

Emil Klie (1875-1949) formerly of Feldartillerie Rgt 26 and with absolutely no tie to colonial service whatsoever was a Major in 1918-19 before going on into the Reichsheer. Retreaded in WW2 as a Generalmajor zV.

Hello Rick.

Good eyesight !

Gen.Maj.z.V. Emil Klie , DoB 5.Jan. 1875 Bevensen/Kreis Uelzen and DoD 7.Jun.1949 in Goettingen.

His picture in the Biblio series on German Army Generals shows him wearing the Gallipoli Star but his biographical date does not reveal any clear service in the Middle East or Turkey in the defense of the entry to the Black Sea.. Always had assignments to artillery formations incl. commissions for the trials of arty equipment. So I wonder what caused him to be filling in in that Schutztruppen office ??

BTW: just received a neat little bookleT;

"Das Offizierskorps der Schutztruppe fuer Deutsch-Ostafrika im Weltkrieg 1914-1918" Ein Verzeichnis aller Ofiziere , welche an dem Feldzuge teilgenommen haben.

This is Vol. 10 in a series pertaining to the German Colonial History.

It does not claim to be complete but certainly makes an effort. It lists a number of E.K.II and I classes bestowed in 1916 . It does not list awards dated post 1918.

The two relief ships are listed here as named:

Hilfsschiff " Rubens" which arrived April 1915 and commanded by Oblt.z.S. d.Res. Karl Christiansen and Hilfsschiff "Marie "which arrived 15.Mar. 1916 and commanded by Lt.z.S.d.Res. Konrad Soerensen (umlaut o)

Bernhard H. Holst

Any mention of a "Karl Storck" ???

Thanks

Chris

Hallo Chris.

That name (Karl Storck) does not appear in the above mentioned book. Did this man not serve in DSWA?

In case someone would like to further explore the publications for possible reference here is a contact:

Traditionsverband ehemaliger Schutz-und Ueberseetruppen

Freunde der frueheren deutschen Schutzgebiete.

The series is called "Beitraege zur deutschen Kolonialgeschichte."

The e-mail address of the Geschaeftsfuehrer who is Dipl.Kaufmann Hermann Mietz (with date of 2003):

mietz@traditionsverband.de

Bernhard H. Holst

Hallo Chris.

That name (Karl Storck) does not appear in the above mentioned book. Did this man not serve in DSWA?

In case someone would like to further explore the publications for possible reference here is a contact:

Traditionsverband ehemaliger Schutz-und Ueberseetruppen

Freunde der frueheren deutschen Schutzgebiete.

The series is called "Beitraege zur deutschen Kolonialgeschichte."

The e-mail address of the Geschaeftsfuehrer who is Dipl.Kaufmann Hermann Mietz (with date of 2003):

mietz@traditionsverband.de

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi,

He is not listed as a GSWA officer either...

I will look into their publications!

Thanks

Chris

• 5 months later...

If it's of any help...

Yes, the Germans in East Africa did recieve EK Is and IIs from a Hilfschiffe. Three EK Is for Von Lettow Vorbeck, Schnee and Looff. EK IIs for the crew of the Koenigsberg.

In South West Africa an award known as the Hildegard Orden was made up. It was an Iron Cross award but without actually having a real Iron Cross, they made thier own ones out of black and white ribbon. I'm not sure how many were awarded and if all of them were certifed by Berlin after the war.

The Schutztruppe in Cameroon also awarded makeshift EKs.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

I don't have your expertise and experience at reading Suetterlin, but this is a pencil note on a typewritten 1921 extract certificate of war service for a captain in DSWA, signed in a slightly clearer hand apparently by the same man who signed Chris B's document. It looks to my untrained eye like KEIL, but it could equally well be KEIE.

I don't have your expertise and experience at reading Suetterlin, but this is a pencil note on a typewritten 1921 extract certificate of war service for a captain in DSWA, signed in a slightly clearer hand apparently by the same man who signed Chris B's document. It looks to my untrained eye like KEIL, but it could equally well be KEIE.

Hello:

The "Ehren-Rangliste des ehemaligen Deutschen Heeres", published 1926 lists Obst.Lt. a.D. Keil as having served in the Kommando der Schutztruppen im Reichs-Kolonialamt. ( he is listed there already in the 1913 Rangliste)

I have recently received a small but informative book " For Valour" The History of the Iron Cross and Wound Badge in German South West Africa 1914-1918 by Gordon McGregor, published and printed 2005 in Windhoek, Namibia; ISBN 99916-40-61-4 .

This publication also describes the above mentioned "Hildegard Orden" and contains a list of the recipients of it as well as the Iron Cross and the Woundbadge without laying claim to completeness of these lists..

Pictured is a Award Certificate with the signature of Keil.

BTW: mention is made in this book of the preparation by the same author of further books with these titles

-Handbook on the South West Africa Commemorative Medal;

-The Cross of Honourof the World War 1914-1918 in South Weast Africa;

-The South African Free Corps 1914-1915.

Bernhard H. Holst

Guest Rick Research

Ahhh! THAT explains the "Downhill Centrally-Dotted 'Klie' Mystery Scribble!" Great job guys! :cheers:

Signatures are always--any handwriting-- a problem, since a scribble is a scribble is a scribble. But in context with other handwriting, and NEATLY written... All Is Revealed.

• 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 8 months later...

And to close off.... his wound badge.

I am still having trouble seeing why he was "Conditionally released" during the war when the rest of the germans were kept in POW camps... maybe because of this wound?

Hi Chris,

As I understand it only the regular Schutztruppe were kept as POWs in WW1. The reservists, volunteers and police were released on condition they did not take up arms again.

Great documents, by the way!

Cheers

Chris

• 12 years later...