News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

You know, a friend of mine does mountaneering ocassionally (usually in addition to archaeological work, you'd be amazed at the conditions at some of the dig sites) and he's seen this, but I stupidly never thought to ask a true master his opinion of the garment!!!! I really appreciate your insight.

This example is dated 1918, as noted, which may explain why it is so 'roomy.' The M15 uniform is also rather loose-fitting, assumedly this was designed for wear over that.

Also, the pictures showing this type of Windjacke are still for sale for a mere 15 euro!!!! I'm rushing to create a Paypal account and figure out how to pay in euros, of course, but at least they're still for sale.

~TS

• 4 months later...
    • Replies 175
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very very nice caps Chris!!!!! I love the last one for Alpenkorps!

I make nice repros of them too, so if someone is interested...

<a href="http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21574" target="_blank">http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21574</a>

I would like to buy one or two of your imperial german hats. I live in America. thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge Alpenkorps fan.... so Jumped ata achance for a nice Bavarian Leib Regiment Milit?rpass....

When it arrived I saw he was only a short while in the Leib Regiment before moving to........

3rd J?ger regiment !!!

My only doc to the regt.

He arrived AFTER the men were awarded the Edelweiss, but the Karpathan badge is entered.

he did the whole Verdun sejour.

One of my favourite Militaerpasses... :-))

Chris,

A very nice Pa?. I especially like the Schneeschuh Batl. connection prior to the assignment to the J?g.Rgt.3. I have two Milit?rpa? from this unit, one from a kid that joined in the summer of 1918 and saw no real action and another to a guy like yours, who saw plenty of action, but was eventually wounded badly enough to be discharged. Mein Lieblingsregiment!

Chip

• 4 weeks later...

Again Chris, very nice indeed. :jumping:

The J?ger of my Pa? was at Verdun from 5.6.16 to 15.7.16. He made it through that only to be badly wounded in the Karpathen at the end of September 1916 and never made it back to the front. He was discharged with a 50% disability in 1917.

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 8 months later...

I think these caps were normally called "Schneeschuhm?tzen". They were worn by the W?rttemberg mountain troops, but also by members of the other Schneeschuh battalions and mountain artillery troops.

Chip

Is this photo from a book?

Hi,

it is from a photo album. There are about 100 photos from a photographer who seems to have been with the Alpenkorps. There are 100 original photos in an album and people could order the pictures using the numbers next to them. Some are pretty boring, some are interesting. Some are quite well kown.

Best

Chris

• 2 months later...
    • 5 months later...

... but what ribbon/award is the large Feldspange (dark ribbon with thin light stripe)?

At first I was thinking I could be the ribbon of the Friedrichskreuz, but an award from

the dutchy of Anhalt makes not really a sense - or?!? Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks and best regards, :cheers:

Jens

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: This is a fantastic photo!!! :jumping: I am trying to imagine the band playing while marching on snow shoes! :cheeky:

The mystery ribbon is for a Baden Silver Merit Medal on the MKFVO war ribbon. The red and yellow stripes come out dark leaving only the white edge showing in the old photo developing processes:

Yellow came out DARK, while freakishly, dark blue came out LIGHT in old photos.

.... :jumping: yes - your are right! The old "red & yellow-color-problem" on b/w-prints!!! :banger:

Great - thanks a lot Rick!!! :beer:

Best regards,

Jens

... I am trying to imagine the band playing while marching on snow shoes! :cheeky:

... :D:D :D

Edited by KIR

• 11 months later...