News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schneeschutzbrille

In a PM talk with Chip we both aren't sure about the autencity on the type of Schneeschutzbrille we have. The thing I am not sure of is the fact that the stamps (of which the Germans are grazy about) are missing.

This is the type:

IPB Image

This is the box.

IPB Image

These are the glasses.

I saw these glasses passing by two times on the militariamarket. Then I saw them in the museum "Lange Max" in Koekelare (Belgium). Checked al the glasses for stamps. But didn't found any stamps. One of the boxes I saw had some old German writing on it (the Germans stopped writing like that after 1945). So I am positively sure that it is an old type of Schneeschutzbrille but have not hart prove that is really an Alpenkorpsitem.

The second type I have is this one:1 and 2 (Press on the numbers).

These glasses were in Militaria Magazine in a topic on the Wurttembergische Gebirgsbataillon (WGB, Rommel).

More information on the Schneeschutzbrille is welcome

Well, we are sure that they are authentic, we are just not sure about the time period. The font of the lettering on the cardboard box does not scream WWII, but it also looks a little modern for the pre-1919 period. There is just nothing to base a definitive judgement on. I would post pictures my pair, but they are identical to the boxed pair that Tom has shown.

Chip

Tom,

Yes, this is the style that I have with the mesh on the sides. Interestingly, I have a period postcard photo showing the same two Bavarians as you show here, only in my picture, they have their rifles slung over their shoulders. Small world!

Chip