News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Batons of Fieldmarshals

Alexandre,

The rank of Field Marshal did not exist in Japan, it was an honorary appointment. It was bestoyed 32 times, 31 on Japanese and once to a foreigner (Lord Kitchener). There was no baton but the awardee received a badge and a sword. I do not have a photo of the sword but I have posted a photo of the badge in my collector's showcase within this forum.

Best regards,

Paul

• 11 years later...
    22 hours ago, Carol I said:

King Michael's marshal baton displayed at his funeral ...

It is of the same design as that used by Kings Ferdinand and Carol II, as well as Marshals Averescu and Prezan.

Ferdinand-and-George-V.jpg.238f6c6a61f6208f682ca3561e86ba6b.jpg

averescu-primeste-bastonul-Fototeca-Muz-Mil-National.thumb.jpg.ec6e5d8e495e4f7ebfc1b9b4ae5f7f7a.jpg

Prezan-Constantin.thumb.jpg.a51560ed4f6472a19e76b7bcd72a0249.jpg

Averescu's baton is in a museum, but unfortunately in a rather poor state.

Averescu-Bastonul-de-Maresal-Muzeu-400px.jpg.163f94fe0a6f016d66068dc2369154e4.jpg

Averescu-Bastonul-de-Maresal-Muzeu-465px.jpg.f062f3133d68260c3cfd820574e04cf2.jpg

Antonescu on the other hand seems to have used one or even two different designs. In the colour photo above, he seems to have a baton with somewhat bigger metal ends than Michael's, but of comparable thickness. However, in the photo below, he has a thicker baton, with a different design.

field-marshals-ion-antonescu-and-wilhelm-keitel.thumb.jpg.36f3fb16600cd206f22657e62366807b.jpg

Edited by Carol I

More interesting details are surfacing: Michael's baton is in fact Ferdinand's, his grandfather.

Ferdinand-and-George-V.jpg

KingMichael.jpg

Ferdinand's baton was donated to the National Military Museum after his death in 1927. The administration of the Royal House requested the baton on the 8th of May 1941 for the promotion of Michael to marshal rank on the 10th of May 1941. Then, on the 19th of June 1941 confirmed that the baton will remain the property of the king and the baton was erased from the inventory of the National Military Museum.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 5 years later...