News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Carte de Visite's

I would like to show you my small collection of Dutch Cart de Visite's with soldiers showing medals and decorations.

CDV-1

Major General Jan Fran?ois Beckman 1815 - 1889

Knight of the Order of the Lions of the Netherlands

Officer's Long Service Decoration with numeral 'XL'

IPB Image

CDV-2

Unknown Lieutenant

Atjeh-medal 1873-1874

Cross for important war actions with clasp "Atjeh" 1873-1874

Officer's Long Service Decoration with unknown numeral

IPB Image

• Replies 81
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDV-3

Unknown Captain of the KNIL in atilla

Military order of William 4th Class

IPB Image

CDV-6

Unknown Major General

Knight of the order of the Lion of the Netherlands

Officer's Long Service Decoration with unknown numeral

IPB Image

CDV-4 and CDV-5 will follow but are not yet researched.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Bonjour,

Adding a newcomer in my collection - this CDV (late 1870s) is identified in the back as "Jonkheer van Vessem".

I found some online reference to a "Jonkheer H.A.L. van Wessem", 1814-1891, who was "woonachtig op Bijdorp en voormalig ritmeester, ordonnansofficier van koning Willem 111 en intendant van de koninklijke paleizen te Amsterdam en Den Haag"

- which I take means "originating from Bijdorp, a former Captain, Ordonnance Officer of king Willem III, and intendant of the royal palaces in Amsterdam and The Hague".

Which matches perfectly with his unifom, rank and aiguillettes on the CDV :

PaysBas_CDV_Knot_VanVessem.jpg

Now closing on his medal rack :

PaysBas_CDV_Knot_VanVessem_Medals.jpg

Can anyone help in identifying them ?

My best guess so far (thanks for confirming !) :

HANGING FROM NECK :

- Order of St. Stanislaus (Russia)

- ?

TOP ROW :

- Huisorde van de Gouden Leeuw van Nassau, Ridder der 5e Classe

- Orde van de Eikenkroon - Ridder

- ?

- ?

BOTTOM ROW :

- Metalen Kruis 1830-1831

- ?

- ?

His quoted birth date (1814) make him a tad youngish for the "Metalen Kruis", but the medal really looks the part.

Thanks for your help !

Salutations,

J?r?me

HANGING FROM NECK :

- Order of St. Stanislaus (Russia)

- Order of the Fenix (Greek) Not sure about this one

TOP ROW :

- Orde van de Nederlandse leeuw - Knight

- Orde van de Eikenkroon - Ridder

- Lombokkruis

- Huisorde

BOTTOM ROW :

- Metalen Kruis 1830-1831

- Order of Leopold II ( Belgium ) - Knight

- Order of Christ ( Portugal )- Knight

Edited by Herr General

I agree on the Order of Christ (Portugal). The Order of Dannebrog is the far right in the top row.

/Mike

I think that the medal last in the top row is the Dutch Houseorder, ( also because of its possition between two dutch medals )

08005.jpg

No, I think your right! So that makes the first medal in the second row not Dutch ?

Edited by Herr General

I can even add that van Wessem received his knight cross of the Order of Dannebrog on 9. July 1866 :)

I think that the first medal in the second row is Dutch (but I am no expert on that...), so maybe he was just a little 'sloppy' with his medals?

/Mike

Merci beaucoup messieurs !

That's great info - much appreciated :cheers:

Mmmh I'm wondering wether the Metalen Kruis being side by side with the Belgian Leopold Order would not have some special kind of meaning ?

I can even add that van Wessem received his knight cross of the Order of Dannebrog on 9. July 1866 :)

:o Stunning !

Merci messieurs,

J?r?me

Hi Gents,

A bit late, but uhm.... Well

HANGING FROM NECK :

- Order of St. Stanislaus - commander (Russia)

- Order of the White Falcon - Commander (Saxon)

TOP ROW :

- Orde of the Dutch Lion - Knight

- Orde of the oaken crown - knight

- Order of Merit d'Adolphe d'Nassau - meritcross gold/silver

- Order of the Danneborg - Knight

BOTTOM ROW :

- Metal Cross 1830-1831

- Order of Leopold I ( Belgium ) - Knight

- Order of Christ ( Portugal )- Knight

I have to say that many things are hardly visible,

however many ribbons are hard to see, the metal cross should have stripes on its ribbon, nowhere to see. Also does it come after all the other medals, thus it might be a foreign medal too based on it's precedence after the danish order.

The order of leopold isn't leopold II but leopold I because of the enamel!!! Leopold II is just a lovely metal cross, whereas the leopold I has enemal all over the cross.

Nice Card!!!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

Bonjour,

Adding a newcomer in my collection - this CDV (late 1870s) is identified in the back as "Jonkheer van Vessem".

I found some online reference to a "Jonkheer H.A.L. van Wessem", 1814-1891, who was "woonachtig op Bijdorp en voormalig ritmeester, ordonnansofficier van koning Willem 111 en intendant van de koninklijke paleizen te Amsterdam en Den Haag"

- which I take means "originating from Bijdorp, a former Captain, Ordonnance Officer of king Willem III, and intendant of the royal palaces in Amsterdam and The Hague".

Can anyone help in identifying them ?

My best guess so far (thanks for confirming !) :

Salutations,

J?r?me

J?r?me,

The correct spelling of his name is: Henricus Alexander Leopold van Vessem. He was born in Son on 28 November 1814, made Jonkheer (Baronet) by Royal Decree of 19 March 1886, No. 13, and died in Rijsenburg (House Bijdorp) on 25 April 1891.

His duties with the royal family included: adjunct-intendant of the Royal Palaces, sub-intendant of the Palace of Amsterdam, intendant of the Palace of The Hague and of the House Du Bois (12 May 1878).

The first Order of the upper row is the Knight 5th class of the House Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau and NOT the Order of the Netherlands Lion. He was awarded this by Royal Decree of 15 May 1876. On 23 January 1888 he was promoted to a Knight 2nd class in this Order.

He was awarded the Knight's cross of the Order of the Oaken Crown by Royal Decree of 9 October 1854.

Sources:

"Nederland's Adelsboek", 1953, p. 95

"Onderscheidingen van de Koning-Groothertog, De Orde van de Eikenkroon 1841-1890", by C.P. Mulder and P.A. Christiaans, p. 525

"Een select gezelschap en een vergeten onderscheiding, Ridders in de Orde van de Gouden Leeuw van Nassau", by C.P. Mulder and P.A. Christiaans, p. 241 & 256

Edited by ErikMuller