News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3rd Jaeger regt, Ski troops in Verdun ...

At last !!! At last !!! a reply !!!

Most of the dokument guys are sleeping the last few weeks ;-)

Hello Chris.

Thank you for showing the document. It is the first one I have ever seen.

He had an impressive combat record. I am reminded of the campaigns desribed in the history of the Jg.Btl. 10 (Hann.) That unit also saw action in the 1916 battles in the Verdun area together with its sister unit, the Res.Jg.Btl.10 with of course heavy losses.

Unsollicited advice to those who are interested in the Verdun battles . The German Reichsarchiv volumes from the 1920's into 1930's about Verdun are very objectively written and give much information on units deployed with losses experienced and other valuable information as to artillery used and so forth. These volumes are available at relatively low cost and if fortunate still contain the maps with which they came originally.

Thanks again,

Bernhard H. Holst

Unsollicited advice to those who are interested in the Verdun battles . The German Reichsarchiv volumes from the 1920's into 1930's about Verdun are very objectively written and give much information on units deployed with losses experienced and other valuable information as to artillery used and so forth. These volumes are available at relatively low cost and if fortunate still contain the maps with which they came originally.

I totaly agree with you on this Bernhard. When one studies the battle of Verdun the Reichsarchiv are most of the time correct or the most in the wright direction.

Also nice are the books of the Reichskriegsministerium, especially part 10. This book contains the working method of the German hight command. Also with maps btw.

Chris,

I can't imagine a better example from this genre. Though there are many types of these, they all have above average artwork. On my many trips to Germany I saw lots of these, but never got one because of the frames. I regret that decision now. I must admit that I am amazed by this man's extreme fortune to have made it through the entire war with the same well travelled and hard fighting unit. I don't imagine that there were too many soldiers that could boast the same sort of record.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chris,

That is a beautiful document. I know this is off topic, but the only thing I have similar, is a post CW (1870-1880) document like this for a black union soldier with his service recorded on it. I would buy these all day long if I could find them. :jumping: I assume where the wreath is, was supposed to be a place for a photo, bloody shame it's not there.

Dan

Hi,

depending on the owner you find them with or without photo, some varaitions have an EK printed between the leaves.

Fom the fading on this one there never was a photo.

Chip, I hear you. This arrived by mail in a frame... the glass broken.

I have become a hardass frame chucker outer. 95% of frames are removed at the door. in the long run its better for the docs.

If anyone has a little web savvy and some time, I would be glad, along with a coworker volunteer, and a nod from the chairman, to do a GMIC page on these commemorative docs.