News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KMST EK1 Has Arrived.

This has to be one of the highest quality crosses I've handled. The finish and manufacture of the frame, mechanism and core are superb. Gordon, you mentioned that there is speculation that these were designed to fit onto Garde Du Corps breastplates. Is this theory based on anything or just a supposition?

Cheers,

Glenn.

Beautiful piece. No, I haven't seen any specific evidence of it being for a cuirasse, just what I'd heard from other collectors. God knows what the fitting would have looked like on the breastplate. I can't see how this would be attached to a cloth uniform either mind you.

This has to be one of the highest quality crosses I've handled. The finish and manufacture of the frame, mechanism and core are superb. Gordon, you mentioned that there is speculation that these were designed to fit onto Garde Du Corps breastplates. Is this theory based on anything or just a supposition?

Cheers,

Glenn.

Hi Chet, nice to see you over here. Yes, it is the one from Chris. I count myself lucky managing to get hold of it. I think there was a lot of interest in it. Thanks Gordon. I've got to say it doesn't seem at all practical to me either. I struggle to see how a thick tunic material would fit into the mechanism.

Cheers,

Glenn.

Guest Rick Research

Ohhhhhkay...

great for grating cheese

or

starting campfires

or...

something.

But what LOCKS and UNLOCKS this thing so it doesn't spring open, popping off the uniform loops? :speechless-smiley-004:

That's just the thing Rick, spring pressure between the top arm and the sliding doodad hold it closed, but there would have to be material between this bit when in wear. I suppose this would add to the tightness of the catch but it still seems like the kind of thing an engineering student comes up with for a project, fails and spends the next 5 years woking in a burger bar before sliding into petty crime and being shot by an angry householder during a burglary. biggrin.gif

I think with 2 strong loops this would stay on a tunic forever, or until the loops broke. I am pretty sure this is for a tunic with loops.

I dont think there is any special REASON for these crosses being different, other than the fact that the germans have a technology fetish and the makier was reckoning with guys saying "Hey man, thats freaking COOL!!!!!!" even back then.

Time has shown we always come back to the needle and hook system, but back at KMST there was a man trying to revolutionise, and at some stage patent a new idea that he hoped to make money off if they ever became the standard way of attaching a badge.......

Guest Darrell

Since these are fairly rare .. would it be safe to assume that these would fall under a design that didnt work very well and was given up? :speechless-smiley-004:

Outstanding cross and very hard to find. I have often wondered why the KMST Crosses were so complex, s

Today everyone wants the lates Mobile telephone with the most advanced features... I am sure there was a KMST designer who, as long as he designed, was able to stay away from the front or something. he designed these, which were probably expensive crosses, and a few shows offs used to buy them to show what nice crosses they had. but I am sure they cost more than average and the average soldier was happier to spend less on one with a simple pin, which he could put on and take off, even when drunk, which with a KMST must have been difficult.

And here we are in 2006, still lots of makers use pins..... and where is KMST ?..... tongue.gif