News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trench Binoculars from 1917

Ok, they are french, but I think this is the best place to post it. I just got them at ebay for a good price (I hope). Made by "HUET, Paris" and marked "L - V. B. Mle 1917". Who can tell me more about them? A picture of a complete one with tripod would be great too.

Hi Chris,

I hope they have some more stamps, also with the date.

No Verdun, sorry. I have to work until friday and then I want to sleep long ;-)

Where will you be? F1 crap hotel?

Hi,

model 17, but no mention of when they were made....

Still no chance of making verdun this weekend? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Today it has arrived. I found another stamp on the left side: "R. 33". I don't think this is a date. Is it possible, that this binocular was captures by the germans and they added their unit mark? Possibly Reserve-Infanterieregiment 33? The letter "R" and the numbers are completely different from those of the maker/serial number stamp.

Is it possible, that this binocular was captures by the germans and they added their unit mark? Possibly Reserve-Infanterieregiment 33? The letter "R" and the numbers are completely different from those of the maker/serial number stamp.

Jens,

Nice optics!

The mark might have been added by the Germans, but there was no Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 33.

It might also be a unit, depot, issue or other property mark.

All you need now is a nice trench in your garden and you can watch the neighbours without being seen :P

/David