News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here?s a nice picture of some German beauties who worked at the powder mill in Zeithain, Saxony during the Great War.

Does anyone know the meaning of the disc they are wearing, is it an ID disc in case of accidents?

Tony

Does anyone know the meaning of the disc they are wearing, is it an ID disc in case of accidents?

Tony,

It is probably a factory ID. You didn't want just anyone wandering around in a place like that.

I think these three wo/men will be lucky enough not to get conscripted to the front.

Well judging from the hard looks of these "ladies" :unsure: , I think the foreman is thinking "Why me? All these women and not a looker in the bunch!". :banger:

Dan

Well judging from the hard looks of these "ladies" :unsure: , I think the foreman is thinking "Why me? All these women and not a looker in the bunch!". :banger:

Dan

Ahh yes, the memories it brings back... of all those East German "women" athletes in the Olympic games! What a fine bunch of guys... er... ahem, women :rolleyes: they were. :cheeky: Those were certainly the days. :lol:

Dan :cheers:

Hello everyone:

An interesting photograph from a time of difficulty on the homefront. I believe that the phrase "Ohne Bezugsschein" refers to the lack of "Bezugsscheine der Reichsbekleidungsstelle und Lebensmittelausweis" which was a government-issued document listing all members of a household and food rations that the household was entitled to. Without one of these, surely, there wasn't much to eat (only what could be had illegally on the black market in cities, or which could be purchased, begged, or stolen from farmers in rural areas). Therefore, those who didn't qualify may have had to work for a living (in a job such as this!) so that they could get food. Perhaps these women were displaced from areas in the East, were criminals, or were widowed, single, or just extremely poor. This would explain the fact that they don't look very happy to aid the war effort! I wonder how often there was a bit of a problem (an accidental explosion) and a new group had to take over production.

All of the sudden, after looking at this photograph, my job doesn't seem so bad after all!

Gru?,

"SPM"