News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Adrians

Tony

Does anyone know anything about the Belgian used Adrian in particular the insignia?

Below is a picture of the insignia on my Belgian Mle. 15 which I bought at a flea market in Tongeren, Belgium a couple of years ago. Since then, I?ve been told that the Belgians used different insignia later in the war and between the wars too. I am 100% sure my one is all original to WWI but if there are differences in the insignia, where are they? I didn?t have any luck searching online.

Thanks

Tony

Just noticed after seeing the photos that there are some stamps inside, an anchor with GC and in the middle on either side of the comb is a C or G and I or d. Any ideas as to the manufacturer or whatever else they could mean?

Tony

P.S.: The stamps can't be seen in the reduced size photo but are there.

Edited by Tony

Does anyone know anything about the Belgian used Adrian in particular the insignia?

Below is a picture of the insignia on my Belgian Mle. 15 which I bought at a flea market in Tongeren, Belgium a couple of years ago. Since then, I?ve been told that the Belgians used different insignia later in the war and between the wars too. I am 100% sure my one is all original to WWI but if there are differences in the insignia, where are they? I didn?t have any luck searching online.

Thanks

Tony

Hello Tony,

I might be wrong ( saw many but only with lion's head) but I think the lion's head was the only insignia which was used by the Belgians. There are different patterns of lion's heads. Later on, fire brigades ( with crossed axes), Rijkswacht ( lions head) and civilion protection ( ?) used the WWII model.

I know the French , Russian,Rumanian, US, and Serbian armies also used the Adrian helmet with their own insignia. Will look for some pics.

kind regards,

Jef

Hello Again, Tony,

Enclosed you will find some Adrian badges. According to this book: Army uniforms of WWI ( Blandford) there is only one ( ?) Belgian badge

Will try other sources,

Jef

[attachmentid=53475]

Tony,

Here are some French World War II Adrian helmet badges. As i am not sure about the Lion's head is the only Belgian badge, I will ask some friends.

With kind regards,

Jef

[attachmentid=53476]

Thanks Jef,

Does the WWII type of lion or that of the Rijkswacht differ much from the WWI type?

Tony

Hello again,

The WWI type is more flat. Concerning the Rijkswacht, this was part of the army, so it was the same badge like the army. After the second war they had other helmets, same type but no steel anymore ( plastic??). The badge was a white metal flaming grenade.

Enclosed is a WWII helmbadge. Sorry for the hazy pic, badge was too thick to put on the scanner.

Like I told in previous message, I will look for more info

with kind regards,

jef

[attachmentid=53477]

Ahhhh, the WWII type looks like it has squinted eyes, whereas the WWI type hasn't, I think. As for the earlier type being flatter, I'd probably need to have them in my hand to tell.

I always thought Rijkswacht was something similar to the police. Saying that it looks like it could mean Kingdom Guards.

Tony

Ahhhh, the WWII type looks like it has squinted eyes, whereas the WWI type hasn't, I think. As for the earlier type being flatter, I'd probably need to have them in my hand to tell.

I always thought Rijkswacht was something similar to the police. Saying that it looks like it could mean Kingdom Guards.

Tony

That's right Tony, Rijkswacht did police work but it's employer was ministry of defense ( in 1914 and 1940 some Rijkswacht units and army fought side by side) . The employer of the police were cities and villages. Several years ago there was a re-organisation and the two amalgamated.

As promised i have been looking for more info (with thanks to my friend Phil Delameilleure)about Belgian badges on adrian helmets. First of all i'm glad i haven't tell you any lies but i have to add:

Some Red Cross units also used adrian helmets with a metal badge or a painted badge. Also police units used the Adrian with a painted police badge.

During the Second War some painted letters were used:

ZHD; for Zekerheid en HulpDiensten ( the early civilian protection)

DP; Defense Pasive ( some similar organisation)

PLB; Passieve Luchtbescherming ( protection and help during and after an airraid)

Coat of Arms of towns, cities, villages + PLB or PB ( Passieve bescherming)

the resistance used adrians with painted lettering.... the name of their organisation.

On the other side of the resistance was the collaboration. Some Walloon collaborators were wearing the Adrian helmet with painted REX lettering. The last examples were non officially of course.

Hope you like the info.

Kind regards,

Jef

• 6 months later...