News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

a police ribbon bar?

I got this at a show last week...an impulse purchase. I think it's police by the middle ribbon, but would be very grateful if anyone can tell me exactly what it is I have here.

Ta,

Edited by Ulsterman

Interesting not sure if it police. If it is the centre medal ribbon is the 1887 or 1897 Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Medal for Police ( Metropolitan & City Police). That would leave the end medal as something like the Conspicious Gallantry Cross which is not really on the cards for someone who was a police officer in 1887 or 1897.

The left white ribbon may be masonic ? That could make them all masonic ?

As Ed says no sense whatsoever. Highly unlikey that someone who was a policeman in 1887 or 1897 would be then awarded a CSC after 1901. Even if he was ex Royal Navy and got recalled in 1914 (he would not be young man by this time) I have no records of any DSC winners who were policemen. Lots of DSMs and a few MCs etc but no DSCs. I do not think any Police from the Navy got recalled for the Boer War (lots of army) and again he would have had to have been a warrant or junior officer so again unlikely career move to police.

I do like these interesting queries !

I also thought about the St Johns idea (with the black having faded) but I am not sure that the British St Johns ever had a single white stripe. Also would the Jubilee medal not have taken precedence ?

Well, there were only 8 DSCs before 1914 and as it's an award for 'in the face of the enemy" I doubt it's a polar 1904 medal bar. Still, it's a mystery and makes no sense as a fake either-too odd and obscure and undoubtedly worn.

My moneys on Red Cross/copper with some sort of DSC-like ribbon for Red Cross/county council service and dating from the 1920s. It has that "feel" to it.