News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Banner T2V2

Actually Gerd just got his research on this Order in yesterday, translated by me:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2405

and it was a very LATE one! A good example of how we can't be sure until the research actually gets done.  beer.gif

Gentlemen,

This has raised a great point of which all Soviet decoration collectors should be aware; and you all probably are. Anyway, here we go.

What we have here is a Red Banner #72925 the award of which which, it seems, should chronologically fall between Red Banners #69910 (awarded on 5 June 1943) and #87522 (awarded on 6 Nov. 1943) but actually has an award date of 25 April 1944! How can this be? There are at least two possibilities.

The first is that #72925 is a reissued piece. I have heard of various examples of reissues but just can not, with confidence, state the procedures and details. The second possibility is a situation very well outlined some years ago in the OMSA Journal (The Medal Collector) where, as I recall, and I emphasize ?recall?. the details are as follows.

Pieces were first allotted to various fronts for distribution. Now, let?s say that 1,000 pieces are distributed to each front to be awarded as earned. If at that time there are ten fronts, the first award at the first front would be #1 while the first one awarded at front 10 (possibly on the same day) would be #90001. To make matters worse, let?s say that front 1 experiences minimal distribution of awards while front 10 has maximum distribution and needs another 1000 pieces for distribution. With this scenario, in a short period of time front 1 could be awarding #100 on the same day that front 10 is awarding #10700. Carrying this on to its? logical conclusion, we can see how the situation we have here can occur.

Surely others in this forum have more knowledge and information on this situation and I would ask that you share it with us.

Respectfully,

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

thanks for the comments.

@ Wild Card: Sorry, somehow i overread your post. Thanks for the award dates, i have added them to my database. You raise a very good point with the serial-numbers and i am curious to hear more opinions about his topic.

Thanks again everyone.

Gerd