News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Choibalsan award chronology in pictures

Ed_Haynes

As an adjunct to my our efforts at detailing Soviet awards to Mongolian leaders

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10329

and our depiction of awards in wear

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5489

I have been trying to disentangle the awards chronology or Marshal Choibalsan, using available photos.

With advance apologies to those whose photos I have "borrowed", I'll present here what I can find and solicit more images and more information, especially a refinement of the chronology to these photos that can be cross-referenced to a chronology of his awards. When/if records become available, we can see how well (or badly) we have done?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

You want muddy? The cover photo of an undated biography, Монголын хувьсгалын алдарт их удирдагч улсын (маршал) єрлєг жанжин нєхєр Чойбалсан. If you wish to practice your bichig, the whole file is online as a PDF at

http://www.chriskaplonski.com/downloads/choibalsan.pdf

OK -

- in 1940 he turns in his OBRMV and Polar Star badges for the new design

- 10 July 1941 he gets a badge for his "Hero" title

- sometime before 1943 he gets his first Lenin

- sometime he gets the Tuvan Order of the Republic

While he received the rank of Marshal in 1936 (a useful tool for some of the photos above?), the star wasn't introduced until 1940. But Choibalsan didn't always wear it!

So . . . maybe . . . 1941/1942?

The war is over (I think this is from the Victory Parade?) and

- he gets his Suvorov 1st class - 8 September 1945

- he gets his second hero - 20 September 1945

- he gets a new Soviet medal for the victory over Germany (?)

- he remounts his Soviet medals

Edited by Ed_Haynes

This previous picture must be

- from before 1945 when the Order of Sukhbaatar was instituted (Choibalsan would eventually get three of them, two for his two "hero" awards)

- and from before 1946 when the hero star was redesigned into a more "Soviet" award

This picture must date from after 1946, as he wears the new designs and and cut back (to make space?) to just four of the new (post-1945) design of the ORBCV. He has also messily added a victory over Japan to the single (victory over Germany?) Soviet WWII medal that he wears indistinctly in the above picture. As the victory over Germany was created 9 May 1945 and the Japan medal waited until 30 September 1945, maybe there is a chronological hint here?? When were they actually distributed to "allied states"?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

What a great chonology - thanks for putting this together.

In post 5 (Choibalsan speaks his mind from the podium), it looks like he is wearing the ORBMV at the top left and the USSR ORB at the top right, but I could be wrong. Can't reall decypher the other three though.

Off topic but somewhat related side note: I always thought Mako would have made a great Choibalsan if a movie were ever made of something like Khalkhin Gol. Unfortunately Mako died recently, which is quite a shame, I really enjoyed his work.

And here the chronology gets messy . . . .

Here he is with Brotherly Northern Friends. See

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5489&st=16

One Red Banner (1922), one pre-1940 ORBMV, and his pre-1940 Polar Star. Maybe 1939-ish?

1939 would be a good guess, this is the medal combination you can see him wearing during a visit to the Khalkhin Gol front

• 7 months later...

Ed,

I'm discovering this thread today only... :rolleyes: This is one of the reasons that make you get interest in Mongolian awards. :beer: But, I still resist the slippery slope... :rolleyes: At least, I try...

Cheers.

Ch.

Ed,

I'm discovering this thread today only... :rolleyes: This is one of the reasons that make you get interest in Mongolian awards. :beer: But, I still resist the slippery slope... :rolleyes: At least, I try...

Cheers.

Ch.

Let me examine the expert Mongolian seers . . . the shamans say . . . the Slippery Slope will win!

The phaleristic/historical/cultural depth here is amazing!

:speechless1: