News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Decorations of South Africa

"Dekoratie voor Trouwe Dienst" is Dutch for "Decoration for Faithful Service." Dutch was used as an official language until some time around WW2 instead of Afrikaans, which was more of a popular language and not considered suitable for use on decorations at that time.

Check out this link to SA medals and decorations from all time periods (only descriptions and ribbons though, no pics of medals):

http://www.geocities.com/militaf/

Cheers,

Matthijs.

:beer:

Im looking for pictures and explanations of these decorations of South Africa :

Dekoratie voor Trouwe Dienst ( and a translation please :P )

Efficiency Decoration

Companion of Honour (it?s a decoration or title ?? )

This must be a Jan Smuts-related question, surely? Smuts was made a CH in 1917 by King George V and also held a Dekoratie voor Trouwe Dienst for fighting against the British in the Boer War less than 20 years previously! Companion of Honour, by the way, is an honour awarded by the British sovereign "as a reward for outstanding achievements in the arts, literature, music, science, politics, industry, or religion." You don't get a title, but you do get a very attractive badge and the letters C.H. after your name.

Hello Guys,

Thx for the infos.

Jacaranda , do you have a picture of these very attractive badge of CH ??? :D

Laurence and Matthijs, i checked the site, very interesting , great infos, but to my project , i need a picture of decorations, nobody have one ??

Thx in advance,

Regards

Alexandre

While there's no CH image over at the OMSA database

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/index.php

you may find other images of use. (Though I cannot pretend to understand your project.)

Megan Robertson's fine site does have an image, however:

http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/un...-kingdom026.htm

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hello Jacaranda

Yes, you are right,

These decorations are from Jan Christiaan Smuts. Im working in a research about WW2 Fieldmarshals.

Do you have the promotion dates of Smuts ??

BTW, in portuguese Jacaranda is a name of a beatiful tree. Your nick is related from it ??

Thx in advance

Regards

Alexandre

Do you have the promotion dates of Smuts ??

BTW, in portuguese Jacaranda is a name of a beatiful tree. Your nick is related from it ??

Bom dia, Alexandre,

After a frustrating search I finally managed to track down Smuts' Companion of Honour award in the London Gazette !

Jacarandas? Love 'em - you see them in October in towns all over South Africa and Zimbabwe - Pretoria and Harare are especially famous for them.