News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very Interesting French/Canadian Group on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/WWII-CANADIAN-FRANCE-LO...1QQcmdZViewItem

If this group is genuine there is quite a story there.

I think it is possible that the recipient left France after 1940, probably to the U.S., and thence to Canada where he joined up. But the presence of La M?daille comm?morative des Services Volontaires dans la France Libre suggests that he must have had some Free French service.

Perhaps he was attached to a Canadian unit as an interpreter.

Or he may have been a Canadian working in France in 1940 who enlisted in the French Army (hence the Croix de Combatant Volontaire) and later joined the Canadian Army after the invasion.

Pity there is no documentation.

Edited by Michael Johnson

A fascinating group. If legit, quite a story. While way out of my field, I the absence of a clasp on the Canadian Vol Service would give me pause.

And mounted in Canadian order of wearing . . . ??

In my experience these are often lost over the years, since the bar's backstrap is not continuous - only about 5mm each side to keep it on the ribbon.

The Canadian order may very well mean that theory 2 is the correct one. Of course he might have emigrated, but how likely is it that he would have remounted his medals?

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Based on ZERO bids and crickets chirping on that one with less than 1 day remaining ... either everyone figures the price is too much OR it's no good :o