News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British army compass Verners Pattern 1918 ?

Jens,

Nice piece of kit.

In the image in post #2, it looks as though the British broad arrow /| and serial number have been removed.

It seems to be identical to compasses that were certainly in British Army stores until the mid 1980s. I have seen these dated from the 1930s, but yours is the earliest I have seen until now.

David

I have the same one dated 1916. Made by Cruchom and Emans, london.

The nice thing is... on the leqather carrying case (also dated 1916) the British officers name and regt are scratched out, and a German officers name and regt are written on it.

The collector i got it from had no interest... so I got it for a Luftwaffe beltbuckle.

Yours is missing a ring under the catch.

Will post mine when my real computer is working again.

Thanks Tony. Would you try to repair the missing ring?

The brass ring is attached by two screws, but as the Verner pattern is quite common I'd wait till a better example turned up and sell the other one on.

Tony

Edited by Tony

A nice compass Jens.

See this thread for a British and US example http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10607

As far as I know, those manufactured after the 20s were higher.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Ya beat me to it my friend! :beer: Was just getting ready to post our thread on those when I saw this. You're just quicker on the draw tonight. :jumping::jumping:

Glad more of these are popping up. Can't wait to see the one Chris has. :jumping::jumping:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan