News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Gunk" on EK2, cleaning advice?

Hey guys,

Just got this cross in today, and it is a really nice one, but has some sort of "gunk" encrusted on the core, from the frame to the leaves, date, W, ect. (cross is maker marked V) It almost appears as if it is a dried laqeur (sp?) of some sort, and a little bit of it flaked off when I dabbed a Q-tip and cloth at it. (without damaging the underlying paint) Do you guys have any suggestions? Usually I leave my crosses alone, but this is somewhat distracting, and really hurts the appearence of the cross. No rust or corrosion, just this stuff. Appreciate any suggestions! :beer:

Kind Regards,

Steve

[attachmentid=54851]

Hello

When I have had occasion to clean one these WW1 EKs I use a silver dip. The one I get here in the UK is called Goddards Silver Dip. This not only cleans the cross but generally seems to remove bits like this from the core.

However, test a little bit out first and make sure that it is not doing any damage. At the end of day, if in doubt leave it as it is. Oh, and don't use any polishes or anything abrasive - although I suppose that goes without saying.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the topic.

I would not use a polish as of yet. This looks like laquer or shellac.

First I would get some boiling hot water and dip it in the water, perhaps this is water soluable. May sure you blow dry the cross afterwards to get the water out of the frame.

If that doesn't work get some ethyl(denatured) alcohol on a Q-tip and if none of the enamelling comes off then dip it in the alcohol until you can scrub it lightly with a tooth brush.

If that doesn't work the try Acetone on the q-tip trick if none of the black comes off then you can dip and scrub don't soak however.

If none of these work get back to me I have more tricks

Edited by coastie

Thanks coastie and David,

Some ideas I will try out tonight hopefully. I like the patina on the core, just want to get rid of the gunk on the core. Thanks guys, haha if it works I'll post some "after" pics, or come back for some more tricks coastie!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Edited by stevo4361

Coastie you are a genius! Thank you!

Put the cross into boiling water, (for no longer than 1-2 minute intervals) and with a worn toothbrush scrubbed. It got most of it off, and the cross looks a lot better. Might not show too much in the scans, but I'm happy with it now. A little of the gunk left in the frame/core junction, but nothing too distracting. Thanks again Coastie, I owe you buddy! :beer:

Kind Regards,

Steve

[attachmentid=55023]

Edited by stevo4361

Oh my good........are you serious? Cooking water...Aceton.....what's next-hammer and chisle? Or maybe a gas flame?? :banger: If you want to ruin the patina use the silver dip-some of them don't detroy the painting of the core.If you just want to remove dirt(everything that is not looking like a propper EK) try some warm water with some neutral soap in it.Just a few minutes and then use a really weak brush! And of corse don't forget to dry the EK! But all this is just if you can't keep your fingers from an iron cross.In Steve's case you've ruined the coating of the core.....

Or spend some money in a subsonic cleaner-they are not expensive!

Micha

I've got the "fragments" of a 4 piece constructed 1914 2nd class here-both halfs of the frame are loose(hold together by the little ring),but the two halfs of the core have got the full paintig.And these two halfs are covered with the same stuff like your EK.So I belive it must be a kind of "protection" for the core.When I find it,I will post pics later!

Micha

Oh my good........are you serious? Cooking water...Aceton.....what's next-hammer and chisle? Or maybe a gas flame?? :banger: If you want to ruin the patina use the silver dip-some of them don't detroy the painting of the core.If you just want to remove dirt(everything that is not looking like a propper EK) try some warm water with some neutral soap in it.Just a few minutes and then use a really weak brush! And of corse don't forget to dry the EK! But all this is just if you can't keep your fingers from an iron cross.In Steve's case you've ruined the coating of the core.....

Or spend some money in a subsonic cleaner-they are not expensive!

Micha

Micha I hardly think what I suggest and the way to test the fraility of the paint would damage the core.

Using silver dip like Tarn-x removes a minute layer of silver, most silver collectors can tell if an object has been dipped I don't use this method anymore.

A non damaging method for cleaning silver is pan lined with aluminum foil and a solution of baking soda and salt in simmering water. Leave the object in for a couple of minutes until the patina lifts off it leaves the original luster without the appearance of subsequent polishing.

Of all the Ek2's I've own (15+) none had this laquer finish on it and really doesn't do anything for the appearance of the cross. At 5+ million of these I hardly think that anything one does to these will affect the value much, these are not Grand Crosses.

Hi guys,

Appreciate everyone's input, thank you! I guess to my eye the "gunk" appeared extremely sloppily applied, as it was not present on the entire core, it only appeared in places, and in differing thickness. I wouldn't have thought the cross would leave the manufacturer like this, and reasoned that it had been applied (accidentally or intentionally) later.

The scans don't really show this, but the paint condition "after" looks more normal compared to my other 1914 EK2s than it did before. And the patina on the silver hasn't really been affected that much either, it still has a very dark silver patina in hand.

I sure appreciate everyone's input on this, and look forward to seeing the cross you have Micha of a cross with this type of finish still on it. I hope I didn't ruin an EK2 in a mistake, but it just didn't "look right." I attempted to clean it with the intentions of restoration, not enhancement. I still have a lot to learn...

Kind Regards,

Steve

Edited by stevo4361