News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian People's Republic Awards

• Replies 461
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ulsterman,

Yes it was at the National Museum. They keep their badges in trays about three feet square. Most of the badges were in small blue boxes with some still in the presentation case. That is how Charles was able to provide a list of some names associated with the numbered awards. The names were written on the bottom of the cases.

Before that we had gone through 5 trays of Excellent Workers Badges most of which we had never seen before. The privately published book we were shown on Excellent Workers badges was also very interesting. The text on each badge was mostly taken directly from the book Charles refers to as "The Blue Bible" but the coloured pictures of the badges were really great. We have our fingers crossed that the chap from the museum will be able to put us in touch with the publisher and that he will still have two copies left to sell to us.

Regards,

Gordon

After doing a little delving into the Blue Bible - I found an interesting entry in the list of regualtions from 1948-1977. Only a certain times were Partisan Badges given out. Here is a list.

To begin with the Hungarian Partisan Association was founded and recognised by the Hungarian Government on Novemebr 8th 1945 from its first meeitng on October 27th 1945. (Law #5821/ig. ftitk - 1945) The forces in power were quick to recognise the need to elevate the work of the partisans as they were the 'model' according to a 1960's publication "Liberated Hungary 1945-1960" of the ideal Hungarian. It must be remebered that a good portion of the population of Hungarly did not look to disfavorably towards the Germans who were at times viewed as 'liberators' themselves. The need to elevate these partisans as the ideal worker of the people, a model to follow - for they were after all just "regular citizens". In retrospect they were a small band of people who had fled Hungary in the 1930's-40's to Russia where they were trianed to activate and acomplish partisan activities. Many were trained paratroopers - a feature that appears on the first form of the partisan badge where the crossed rifles are on the 1954 version.

On December 5th, 1954 the "official" Hungarian Partisan Badge was instituted and was awarded liberaly into 1955 (as apparent by the document examined for #5912.

Then it was declared that a second round was awarded on January 6th, 1956

Then again on April 20th 1957

Then on October 3rd 1958

Many years passed until it was finaly bestowed on September 3rd 1966. After this date there is no record of further awarding. Documents should therefore after 1955 have a date of simply "1956, 1957, 1958, and 1966" -

Charles,

You must have read my mind. Great info on the award of the Partisan Badges. On the way home a few minuites ago it occured to me that I don't remember seeing a Partisan Badge award document posted. I know what they look like from the one we saw at the monthly Militaria Show. Do you have one you could post to illustrate what the document, and it's holder, should look like? It would be great reference to go with the dates of the awards you posted.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Charles,

You must have read my mind. Great info on the award of the Partisan Badges. On the way home a few minuites ago it occured to me that I don't remember seeing a Partisan Badge award document posted. I know what they look like from the one we saw at the monthly Militaria Show. Do you have one you could post to illustrate what the document, and it's holder, should look like? It would be great reference to go with the dates of the awards you posted.

Regards,

Gordon

From what we saw on Wed - I would assume then that the one was saw at the show was an ID card. Next question in the pot - does the ID card and the award card match? I wish I had a doucment or an ID card to post...Zsolt? :cheers:

Gents,

An interesting picture in line with Hunyadi's earlier post in this thread of the Partisan Association Badge. This is a picture of Alt?bornagy P?lffy Győgy wearing this early pre official Partisan's badge on his General's uniform. Also of interest is that he appears to be wearing the badge for the 1949 Anniversary Parade below it!

Regards,

Gordon

and on the medal bar just off the picture is an American Bornze Star (if I recall correctly) - this individual was 'portrayed' in the Hungarian Film 'The Witness'. Along with Kadar and a host of other 'individuals of notariaety' - I dont know how this black comedy made it past the censors....

An interesting set of pins - not exactly sure what they are for - I believe that MHK is "Munka Hivat?s K?pz?s" (Workers Trade Formation) (??)

Apparently they came in silver and gold grades - of interest is the silver grade on the left - if you look hard enough you can see that the banner the woman is holding is the Hungarian flag with the Kossuth Coat of Arms. Date is obviously 1949..Then we see on the Gold grade that the flag now has the "Rakosi Coat of Arms" also from 1949. Would love to know more about these....

Nice foot-work! Yes - according to that site they were a sprots organization that was intended to uplift the pyhsical prowess of the worker (get them fit so that they could be better workers!) But due to organizational problems and such the organization slowly disbanded until disapearing in 1954.

Not going to say much about this one - but if you want to PM me about it - feel free to, I can give you more deatils.

Somewhere in the early / mid 1980's I would gather to ventrue from the quality of the pieces. The Hungarian Defense Forces comisioned the creation of medals that would be issued in the event of WW3. However this one seems to be a very good fake, and its now the first truly questionable item that I have run across! Be warned - it seemd to fit the finish and quality of the one that I held in my hands!

Edited by hunyadi

Gents,

I'd like to add to Hunyadi's pictures of the nice medal he purchased today. The only problem with the purchase was I was standing right next to him and didn't recognize what I was looking at!! At least one of us owns one of theses medals!

The series of these medals that Charles has refered to is actually pictured in a book authored by Kenyeres D?nes titled ?Katonai Kit?ntet?sek a Magyar T?rt?nelemben?. Here are photos from the book;

Great find Charles! :jumping::jumping: That's definitely a keeper!

Gordon, I especially love those last two sets of three... my favorites being the last set... beautiful design! :love::jumping::jumping:

How I envy you both being in the center of all this and being able to find these hidden jewels. Keep up the great work! And thanks so much for sharing... we'd all be lost without you. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman