News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian People's Republic Awards

and one other Workers Milita lot - this one is a lttle less complete as there was some water damage to the documents and some did not survive. Its interesting to see that he was awarded the Socialst Workers Medal - a high medal to be sure and the Meritorious Serivce to the Nation in Gold in 1966 - the document on this is exquisite! :beer:

• Replies 461
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Those are lovely. Nice labor groups like that would tempt me to Hungary in a split-second!!

Thanks for sharing.

:jumping::beer::jumping::beer:

Wait till you see what I got today - thoguh it has to wait till Christmas as its a gift from my fabulious wife. :jumping:

Why is it that the most rare are the ones to suffer.... :(

Hi Charles,

Trust me... it happens in all collectible hobbies. Numismatics for instance. I've seen so many potentially rare coins that have ended up in junk boxes or used for scrap gold or silver because they were mistreated over the years. On the one hand, if they have a slight ding, dent or light scratches on them and are sufficiently rare then they still have value to some collectors. Some are so rare one is lucky to get one in any condition and it's treasured regardless of any damage or imperfection. Whereas common dates and such are only considered collectible in the higher grades.

I've picked up a few over time. One is a German silver coin with the eagle on one side and the Graf Zeppelin on the other. Another is one with Kaiser Wilhelm and his wife, him in his dress uniform with the large eagle atop his pickelhaube. Both are rather pricey in half way decent grades. But the Zep coin had been holed at some point... the Kaiser piece was actually cut out, probably both to make some form of jewelry out of them. But I got them at very good prices and I also tend to love underdogs.

Needless to say I see such things as rare dates in otherwise high grade with a hole in them or a series of bad scratches or gouges and I could nearly break down and cry. But then again, if more had survived they'd not be as rare and desireable. It's the attrician such things suffer that bring on rareties and high prices... at least in most cases. The old case of supply and demand.

Also, terrific groups and a fantastic collection. I too would love to be able to obtain one or more such groups, especially as complete as these are. They are a beautiful sight to behold. Here's hoping you're bless with many more in the years to come. :beer: But save a few for the rest of us! :cheeky::P I suspect that along with myself there are several others who are hooked or sorely tempted to become hooked after seeing your great collection. Keep up the good work! :jumping:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Folks - the time is now in getting the groupings - mainly because the old guard is dying off and if the trash pickers dont find it the families are taking them to the coin shops or the militaria shops or the fela markets. Five years ago this stuff was hard to find - the medals sure but documetns and groupings...hardly ever. Now they are coming out of the woodwork. But alas the internet is driving up the prices.... :blush:

The Militaa Badges are similar to the Workers Badges as you got them for doing a good job while training, guarding, etc...Earlier awards were for 5 years of service as well, but when they introduced the Workers Militia Medal in 1964 this practice died and went back to 'good work' form. Many times a militia member also worked in the factory - so they also qualified for the Workers Badge as well for increasing production.

Below is the 'Turba Lot' Militia Badge (the star shaped one) with the document. Next to that is the badge for Military Related Industry Workers Militia (gurading the warehouse of AK-63's or rockets, gurading the small arms factories, etc...) Sadly, I cant tell from this lot where he served. Also is the Workers Militia arm band that woudl be worn while on guard duty.

Hi Charles,

I love that cased badge!!!! Beautiful... but again I tend to be a sucker for stuff in cases. :P

Hey, in case you or anyone else is intro'd, I posted those coins I mentioned in post #132.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1285...mp;#entry124500

Figured it would be better to put in the coin section as here it might be deemed :off topic: .

Guest Darrell

Wait till you see what I got today - thoguh it has to wait till Christmas as its a gift from my fabulious wife. :jumping:

Ahhh ... I see .... tell the wife "Buy me that for Xmas". Then have her wrap it up for the big surprise on Xmas morning. :cheeky:

Many of us have done that before :shame::unsure:

Ahhh ... I see .... tell the wife "Buy me that for Xmas". Then have her wrap it up for the big surprise on Xmas morning. :cheeky:

Many of us have done that before :shame::unsure:

Actually it was coming through the door with two big bags of stuff and a smile on my face ear to ear.

'What did you find?'

"An amazing grouping...."I said

'OK tell me about it...'

Two minutes of explination cut short

'So how much was it?'

Price

'Can I get this for you for Christmas?'

"Sure" I said. :rolleyes:

Its the type of thing I have been looking for for over five years now and now jsut found one. Some folks on the forum know a little about it already - but even then I was only able to get through 25% of it before I made the decision to buy and buy quickly. I have not been able to pour over it sinc then. So in a way it will be a surprise. It has been decades since I was a kid wanting to peek and see what I got in the Christmas 'hide-a-way' :cheeky:

Guest Darrell

I just spent $550 Can on some American Medals. When the Bank Statement is printed off in a couple of days ... I hope she asks if that is my Xmas present. Unfortunately, I think a stern look, no supper and a cold bed for about a week is all that's coming to me :unsure:

Guest Darrell

Its a tightrope we all walk. :P

True ... at times I think mine is sagging too much and I'm walking very close to the snapping jaws of Alligators below :speechless:

Hi all,

I guess I've been exceptionally lucky with Kim. :love::love: She's always been extremely supportive of my various hobbies and interests. But I've always been the same way with her's as well, which doesn't hurt. There have only been a couple of occassions where she's gotten a bit squeamish over a purchase but even then she grins and bears it.

And although she's done well on a few occassions in getting me things (my observer badge is an excellent example... she got it for like $16 as a repro and turns out it's an original! Here's the link to that one: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7484 ) I love she generally doesn't know enough to feel she's getting me something good that I want, don't have and have it be a good deal to boot. So quite often she'll just say here's yay amount so you can get something you really want. Face it, on much of what we collect you have to really know what you're looking for. It's like in coins... sometimes a mint mark makes all the difference... and unless you know that you'll end up getting what you think is right but it's totally wrong.

But God bless her she really does try and she's made me a very happy man. :jumping::jumping:

Plus she's not one to go for jewelry, fancy cloths and stuff like that. She gets the biggest kick out of traveling and so do I so that works well. And she likes to go to Sci-Fi conventions with her friends (and Nick and I when it's one we're intro'd in) so that's always a good thing to do for her. All in all we've worked things out quite well. What can I say... she's my life, my love, my best friend and all I could have dreamed of in a mate. Can't ask for more than that. :beer:

It's a sagging tightrope here too.....still, at least it's not beer or flashy cars or dangerous mid-life crisis hobbies.

That militia badge is brilliant!

I got this (below) off ebay 2 months ago.

It appears to be some sort of distinguished workers badge-varient. It has almost the same sort of box interior as the militia badge, but the box is plastic.

Any ideas?

It's rather well made and of 2 piece construction. Any ideas?

ooops-

I forgot to add that there are several others of these at the mo-

one, from "Bazzmag" is for sale for 10e. I doubt it's a fake, because it was:

1. dirt cheap

2. the sellers' story (obtained in 1998) seems to check out (lots of hungarian stuff, but mostly sells odds and ends, USAF extras, Pokeomon cards and kids clothing etc.

3. Rather well made compared to other crap out there-not exceptional quality-the back is brass and reminds me of Vietnamese medals, but the front enamelwork is rather decent and may even be hot applied. The back flag looks precision made too-no odd paint/enamel spalshes anywhere.

Edited by Ulsterman

Ah yes - the Kivalo Munkaert (Excelent Job / Work) ...you are right it is a off shoot for the Workers Badge. Instituted in 1975 for specific works and projects for both 'the young and vigorious' (I dont make this up folks - its what the law said) and the 'wise and educated' (huh?) Unlike the Workers Badge this was a medal and could be worn with a medal bar. The medal carried with it a bonus of 3000 Hungarian Forints (about 1 & 1/2 months salary).

As this is a mid 1970's medal you will find them in the high impact plastic - the type of stuff kids plastic toys are made from for heavy outdoor use. 'Big Wheels' come to mind... with usualy a crushed felt lined plastic insert. The 1970's was where we begin to see the decline of the economy and as a result the older wood and leatherette cases vanished.

Right now - and I am sure subject to change in the near future - no one is faking any of the Hungarian People's Republic awards. At least not here. I have seen a few very junky lead copies of some higher awards, but unless you were less than 8 years old you wont fall for them. The worst offense that I have seen yet is taking post 1957 awards and switching out the 1957 coat of arms for the 1949 coat of arms to increase the value.

Here is a few ditties I picked up today - first off is a cased Excelent Workers Militia Badge.

I think there has been one posted before - but this one is a nice early 1964 era Order of Labor in Gold (20,540 awarded) Its early because the case is not made from the painted on leatherette that ended up becoming some sick and sticky good when the box became exposed to weather above 80 deg. You can litteraly stick these boxes to the cieling - but this is not one of those 1970's disasters (they switcehd to the plastic ones to save money after that)

you can also tell this is an early issue as the ribbon has the wartime wire and gromet design for holding hte medal to the wire - when buying any HUPR awawrds - try to find this feature. In the 1970's they used a flat piece of aluminum in place of a bent wire. Avoid those if you can!

And the icing on the cake - A cased Order of the Red Star. I missed out on the really good deal on Ebay a while back - I had one Order of the Red Star before, but the case has eluded me. (1574 ever awarded of this type) Untill now - The Order itslef has a few flaws - but its character in my book. :beer:

And the 'yawner' of the evening. Hungarian Trade Council's Union Medal for service to the Trade Union in Gold. Most of the gold wash to the star has flaked off but it is still present on the miniature. The badge came in two grades Gold and Silver. Gold was for 15 years of serivce in SZOT (HU Trade Councils Union) and the Silver is 10 years. The 15 year award came with 3000 HU forints bonus (1 1/2 months pay) and the silver came with 2000 HU forints.